a few questions.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
deegee
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
1981 Seca 750

a few questions.

Postby deegee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Guys, I'm a gold wing nube .
Is the petcock vacuum operated?
Does there need to vacuum pressure in the fuel tank?
Would reg car engine oil make the clutch shutter?
Would excessive crankcase oil go through the the airbox.
The last two happened on the way home from my purchase.

deegee

Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: a few questions.

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 am

Hello, welcome to the forum.
You don't want any vacuume in the fuel system at all. Maybe your vents in the gas cap are clogged?
Improper oil will cause clutch problems - how much and what kind of oil are we talking about? Regards, Johnyy

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 am

open the gas cap while riding and see it that helps if so = clogged vent in the cap soak it in solvent air blow may clean it out .

Only use non-modifier oil..= the energy conserving oil rotella 10/40 one of the preferred oils for GL's. the other kind makes the clutch slip. look at the symbol below you want the bottom one on your oil.
Attachments
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Is the petcock vacuum operated?

Not on an 1100.

Does there need to vacuum pressure in the fuel tank?

Bit of an oxymoron, vacuum pressure. The gas cap is basically a check valve. It allows air in the tank to prevent a vacuum as gas is used up. It will not allow air out so if you get some gaseous expansion due to heat etc. you could get a little pressure build up in the tank but not much.

Would reg car engine oil make the clutch shutter?

It could if it has friction modifiers, most oil formulated for cars have friction modifiers. A popular alternative to more expensive motorcycle oil is Rotella T in any of its configurations (dino, dino syn blend, pure synthetic). This oil is formulated for diesel engines and has no friction modifiers.

Would excessive crankcase oil go through the the airbox?

Entirely possible if overfilled. There is a site glass on the lower right of the engine below and a little forward of the riders foot peg. If you cant determine where the oil level is then its probably over filled. Ideal is between the full and low lines. Both of mine will shed any oil over the mid point between the lines, once the level is there its fine until I change it.

deegee
1981 Seca 750

Postby deegee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:18 pm

So should i hear a whoosh when i remove the gas cap? The PO says i should.
The PO top off the oil by dumping a liter in the crank case.
I plan on running the wing with seafoam in the oil for a few minutes ,dump oil and change filter.
I'll us rottella T[i use it in my 1981 Seca 750.seems to work well .

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Should not hear any whoosh sound. Means your cap vent is plugged and not allowing air thru. The seafoam trick is great, just run it gently while its in there as it thins the oil.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

deegee
1981 Seca 750

Postby deegee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks the Info .Now i'm waiting for 30 to 45 cm of snow and 90km/h winds tomorrow.Will winter ever end?

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:33 am

I'm one of the guys that gets fallen trees off the power lines and gets paid overtime to do it. so please forgive me when i say i hope this storm swings inland a little bit and tears up the east coast a bit, lol!!
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am

cbach1981 wrote:I'm one of the guys that gets fallen trees off the power lines and gets paid overtime to do it. so please forgive me when i say i hope this storm swings inland a little bit and tears up the east coast a bit, lol!!

We had a bunch of power outages here a couple of weeks ago. Tons of salt on the roads, it was dry for a few days, the traffic kicked up the salt which landed on the high tension poles, then it rained, turning the wet, salty poles into great conductors. Tens of thousands of volts running across the wet, salty wood, and the poles started lighting on fire. This is one they repaired, the day before I saw the top of this one broken right off and dangling by the wires.

Repaired pole
Repaired pole

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:50 am

deegee wrote:So should i hear a whoosh when i remove the gas cap? The PO says i should.
The PO top off the oil by dumping a liter in the crank case.
I plan on running the wing with seafoam in the oil for a few minutes ,dump oil and change filter.
I'll us rottella T[i use it in my 1981 Seca 750.seems to work well .

You could on occasion hear a slight woosh when removing the gas cap, but only as a result of expansion of the gas in the tank as a result of warming up, as previously mentioned. You do not have to hear it every time.

Check the oil level in the sight glass while the bike is on the center stand. The sight glass is near the right side (sitting on the bike) below the footpeg. Too much oil can be detrimental to the running of the bike, as it can start to produce foaming from it not being able to travel through ports efficiently.

Get the oil to the proper level and run the Seafoam for between 50 and 100 miles gently. Not reving the motor too much or gunning it hard. The Seafoam will thin the oil somewhat and not be as efficient of a lubricant. Only running it a few minutes will not clean enough gunk out. Change the oil right away (after you have taken at least 50 miles worth of riding trips, 100 is better) while very warm because if it is allowed to cool, the sludge you want to remove, will begin to solidify if allowed to cool.

There are many useful manuals in the manual section that may be useful to you, giving service and maintenance intervals and suggested oil, and other specs.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”