Help !!! Not sure what too do about this

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Help !!! Not sure what too do about this

Postby kajunmisfitt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:23 pm

I just got finished well 1) changed the oil, fuel filter, oil filter, plus the air hoses from the breather too the two different behind the engine and the top of the transmission (I THINK). Well, started riding this bike yesterday and it has been GREAT. UNTIL THIS AFTERNOON. I went and bought $1.24 in gas. Then it started posing power and then I pulled the choke then it would get going again then finally got to the appoint. Went from their to the (oh, all this is going up hill) gas station put #8.00 in it got going then about 2 miles down the road it starts to go back to posing power again So I was wondering if I was thinking the right thing. I did change the fuel filter from that stupid plastic one that you can't see through too the one hat was on the parts bike I have (83' GL1100A) it is clear type that can be taken apart and the screen replaced , I just washed it out dried it out then put it all back together. So I am wondering if it might be the screen that is clogged up. But I was watching the filter and it is only filling up between 14-12 full/ at least from what I am seeing. What I am wondering too is it not suppose to fill up 100% so it can have the right amount of vacuum going through it. What do I know just a CAJUN lost in the mountain) Sorry about my rambling on !!! I HAVE SOME IMPORTANT RUNS COMING UP AND I WOULD LOVE TOO GET THIS BIKE RUNNING AT ITS PEAK!!! Thanks ahead of time for yall help in this matter. This web site is too died for. AWESOME !!!! YA'LL HAVE SAVED MY A TON OF MONEY DOING ALL THS WORK I HAVE DONE THIS LAST WEEK !!! THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART !!!! would love too meet some of you guy but that will have to wait I guess!!!

David-Mantle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Re: Help !!! Not sure what too do about this

Postby David-Mantle » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 am

I also have an 83 and i didn`t know the fuel filter can be taken apart for cleaning. If you think that this might be the problem why not just replace the line with plain pipe ( remove filter from bike altogether ) and try a short run. If it runs good then you will know if filter or not.
Could the air hole in the fuel tank cap be blocked creating a vacuum in tank? That could cause your problem also.

Just a thought - hope it helps.
The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
http://yuq.me/users/24/690/5CwYRzT8lx.gif

kajunmisfitt

Postby kajunmisfitt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 am

Thanks David, I was not thinking about the cap But I will try it tomorrow or when this weather gives us a break, RAIN AND WIND. But I was thinking about going around and by passing the in-line filter too see if that was the problem. thanks At first I thought it was the $1.24 worth of gas I got was bad. But not sure now.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am

In my opinion it is not a good idea to run the engine without the filter even for a short period. It just takes one small bit of junk to clog up the carbs. I think the problem lies elsewhere. The filters in both of my bikes never fill completely. I have the glass, see through, cleanable filters. Good luck.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:46 am

It does sound like fuel starvation, so it could be a blocked gas cap, if your bike has a vacuum operated fuel tap, it could be that (if it has a prime position, not all do) try that, it could also be water in the fuel (in the carb float bowls). If it is easy to do, I would turn off the fuel and then remove the float bowl drain screw on each carb and let the fuel run out. Once the fuel stops, screw the drain valve back in, do this for all 4 carbs, then turn the fuel back on and see if it runs better.

Gary

kajunmisfitt

Postby kajunmisfitt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 pm

thrasherg I understand what your saying But after I put the $8.00 in it, I ran great for about a mile of so then by the time I got home it started losing power again. But I went to the Honda dealer today was told it was an aftermarket filter, So that being said, I have to go looking where I might find the screen that is in the middle. Or just go back to the other filter I took off, that I can't see through

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:10 am

My thought is it is the fuel filter..
Buy a new one and change it...
They can be had at any power sports place, or even a Walmart or Auto place..
1/4" fuel line filter will work..
The bike seems to be starving for gas at speed..? Then the filter isn't allowing enough through I think..
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 am

kajunmisfitt wrote:thrasherg I understand what your saying But after I put the $8.00 in it, I ran great for about a mile of so then by the time I got home it started losing power again. But I went to the Honda dealer today was told it was an aftermarket filter, So that being said, I have to go looking where I might find the screen that is in the middle. Or just go back to the other filter I took off, that I can't see through

An easy check. After you put the $8.00 of gas in it, you introduced enough air into the tank to allow for flow. It is quite possible that the cap isn't allowing enough air through the vent holes to get gas through to the carbs. So open the cap and start the bike. Close the cap, then when you go for a ride, when you get to the point of gas starvation, open the cap partially. If it runs well again, you can assume that the cap is plugged. This doesn't meant the filter isn't dirty though. When in doubt about the fuel filter, change it. It isn't that big of a cost. Even if the filter is partially clogged, it can have an affect on the vent holes allowing enough air into the tank. It could be a combination of the two, but it can be checked pretty easily. Keep us posted.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:12 am

patbrandon1 wrote: When in doubt about the fuel filter, change it. It isn't that big of a cost. Even if the filter is partially clogged, it can have an affect on the vent holes allowing enough air into the tank.

Could you elaborate on the effect a partially clogged fuel filter has on gas tank cap venting?

thanks
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:57 am

SteveB123 wrote:
patbrandon1 wrote: When in doubt about the fuel filter, change it. It isn't that big of a cost. Even if the filter is partially clogged, it can have an affect on the vent holes allowing enough air into the tank.

Could you elaborate on the effect a partially clogged fuel filter has on gas tank cap venting?

thanks

You could look at it like a partially clogged sink drain, the water just won't flow as efficiently as one that is not clogged. Even if your vent pipe is fully open with no obstructions, it won't flow well. AND if the vent pipe gets clogged, i.e. birds nest, leaves, the water won't flow as easily. The gas cap is like a one way vent pipe, and the filter is like the drain. They both need to be fully clear for things to flow best.

But with a sink drain, the water will eventually evacuate the sink. With the motorcycle, if only a portion of the gas is getting through, it will starve the carbs and stop running.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 am

patbrandon1 wrote:
SteveB123 wrote:

thanks

You could look at it like a partially clogged sink drain, the water just won't flow as efficiently as one that is not clogged. Even if your vent pipe is fully open with no obstructions, it won't flow well. AND if the vent pipe gets clogged, i.e. birds nest, leaves, the water won't flow as easily. The gas cap is like a one way vent pipe, and the filter is like the drain. They both need to be fully clear for things to flow best.

But with a sink drain, the water will eventually evacuate the sink. With the motorcycle, if only a portion of the gas is getting through, it will starve the carbs and stop running.

I understand how drains and vents work. I still don't understand how the drain affects the vent, as bolded above.
How would my partially clogged sink drain affect my venting capacity?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:28 am

I understand how drains and vents work. I still don't understand how the drain affects the vent, as bolded above.
How would my partially clogged sink drain affect my venting capacity?[/quote]

I didn't mean to imply that you don't know how drain vents work, I was only giving an example of a possible comparison.

To answer your question "How would my partially clogged sink drain affect my venting capacity?", if there were a birds nest in the vent, a partially clogged drain wouldn't pull as much air through it as it would if the drain was clear of any obstruction.

So what I am trying to say is that a partly clogged fuel filter, along with a partly clogged vent cap would be quicker to produce fuel starvation than one of them clogged alone. One might not even know their fuel filter is partially dirty by itself. A dirty fuel cap would make it harder for fuel to flow than just a fuel filter problem.

Maybe the water drain comparison isn't the best, I just was trying to say that the fuel filter, and the vent cap, can affect each other.

kajunmisfitt

Re: Help !!! Not sure what too do about this, UPDATE !!!

Postby kajunmisfitt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:44 am

OK, UPDATE FOR THE SLUGGISH RUNNING BIKE, I have clipped the ignition wires about a 1/4 of an inch or less and I went and got a bottle of "SEAFOAM" and put some in the oil and the gas. Not sure if this is what I should do but it seems to be running a little better. I have NOT went and rode the bike any more. (Just about 1/2 mile) and back too the house. Since I was told this was a normal process that some people has done. Before I go spending $165.00 for another set of ignition wires and coil (Honda price). Before I clipped the ignition wires and put the "seafoam" I drove the bike about 11 miles and it still was sluggish but not as bad as it did in the first. I also got a bottom of conditioner too take the water out of my gas, So that is telling me we are getting closer too resolving this issue. Since it is suppose to be in the 50's today, I will go for a short ride too see if this will run like it is suppose too run can not wait. Thanks

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:44 am

check your air filter also. I had a paper map clog the air flow to the air filter and had the same problem you are describing.

kajunmisfitt

Postby kajunmisfitt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks Wilcoy02,
I have been in and out of the air filter about 4 or 5x getting things moved to get too other stuff. Unless it being the filter itself, that is ok I think

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Let me throw in my two cent. For what its worth, A FUEL FILTER is used to protect carbs from harmful deposits that get into the engine. You have an after market fuel filter that may or may not be restricting the fuel flow. so replace the filter with a stock or near stock one (I use on from a Ford) if the bike runs then the filter was the issue, if its the same your out $3 and some time.
I like the fuel vent cap idea but, if you let bike sit fuel will seep past a fuel filter blockage and fill float bowls. then you start it and ride and in 1/4 to 1/2 mile it bogs down.. Classic fuel starvation..

Change the filter!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”