Weird Faux Tank Latch Lock Conundrum

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Weird Faux Tank Latch Lock Conundrum

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Today while I was opening the faux tank on my '82 GL1100i for the first time since I topped it off with gas in the fall, it was stuck. After a bit of wiggling and gentle persuasion, it managed to open. I figured out that it was stuck on a little lip below the latching mechanism of the key cylinder. My plan is to grind a bit if the lip away and it won't catch on it any longer.

I had decided that trying to bend the catch or apply undue pressure may break something that I would have to fix, and I hate fixing my fixes. You may get a better understanding from the following pics. What I don't understand is HOW this happened. I had not done one thing to, or around the tank all winter. And it always worked perfectly before. There is no real reason that this happened.

I just like to know why things break or get out of order. That's what I do on my job, I troubleshoot and repair plastic manufacturing equipment. And it is important to know why something broke. I may never know why this happened. Has anyone else ever had this trouble before? I can't be the only one, can I???
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Weird Faux Tank Latch Lock Conundrum

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:22 am

Rather than grind away something from a part that obviously worked fine before, I would have a look at what caused it to stop working. Has the catch part on the bottom shifted? Has the lock itself moved in its place? Is the door even (i.e. has it moved forward?). If something is loose such that this is now happening, grinding away metal will likely allow it to move again, and you'll be facing the same problem. Fix the source of the problem rather than the symptom.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:23 am

If you didn't change anything I would bet money on a lube job in the lock and on the tab correcting the problem.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 am

dingdong wrote:If you didn't change anything I would bet money on a lube job in the lock and on the tab correcting the problem.

I agree. Easiest solutions first.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks guys. Today I had pondered a bit about what changed in the lock mechanism. I had an early shift so after lunch I am going to figure out the problem. Last night I did spend a half hour looking it over. The reason I even opened it was to Lock-Ease the lock. I do all of them every year. I did put a bit of synthetic grease on the lip that was sticking, but it still stuck. I just didn't want to bend or force anything that could break.

I know something shifted somehow, and want to get it right. The bottom catch is pretty secure and not at all adjustable. The lock hasn't moved, and the doors look straight. The only thing I can think of is that when I put it up on the motorcycle jack to do some PM this winter, something shifted. I secure the bike with rachet straps to the valve cover crash bars, but only tight enough to stabilize the bike. Must have put some residual pressure on that tank.

I will post my results when I figure it out. I hope the suspense doesn't last too long. But in the meantime here is an off topic question, and I could probably find it in a manual, but maybe you can save me some time. Can I get the instrument light cluster at the ignition switch (neutral/bright/oil) off to change bulbs to LEDs without removing the whole CD player/speaker thing? Along with the cover will removing the 2 little nuts on the back of the cluster get it out?

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:19 pm

my `82 did the same thing last winter, in the same sequence. Filled the tank, rode home and put the charger on the battery and walked away. 1st of april `13 i tried to open gas door and found it jammed. turned out the plunger nuts has loosened ever so little enough to jam the latch.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”