New member about to take the plunge!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
62MCRider
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing

New member about to take the plunge!

Postby 62MCRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 am

Hello all, I currently own the Gold-wings baby brother, an '82 Honda Interstate GL500 SilverWing. It has been one great little bike - brought it to it's present home in Central California from Eastern Washington back in 2003. Bought it from it's 3rd owner, my son-in-law for a thousand bucks. It had 30 something k miles on it then and has 70 something k miles now.

But I am considering a purchase of it's bigger brother and considering buying an '83 Aspencade. The looks are remarkably similar. I have never owned a Goldwing. I have an '07 Harley Heritage Softail Classic now, and my wife has an '11 Harley Sportster Ultra Low.

When we ride two up on the Heritage even 50 miles seems long. That's why I am considering the Wing. Any thoughts, suggestions, or stories would be helpful. I am about to pull the trigger on this purchase...

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Re: New member about to take the plunge!

Postby eklimek » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 am

83 goldwing in the best iteration of the 1100. Slightly lower rpm at cruise with change of gearing but great pickup in first. It remains a motorcycle while the 1200 has evolved into a cruising lazyboy with buttons and bigger bags.

The 1980 to 1983 are cheap and parts new and used are generally available. Service for most things is not beyond shadetree level. The carburetors are a challenge I can't describe as enjoyable.

If any is to be found by design I am not fond of the linked brakes. And if you want to ride a Christmas tree the power supply is adequate but not up to festive lighting.

All the usual issues of a 30 year old bike which this forum most likely has already or can address. Hard to fault the bike. When you are tired of the 83 it won't have cost you $5K.

If bigger is better, go up to 6 cylinders. New, a 1800 is near $30 k up here and good used is still half of that.

62MCRider

Postby 62MCRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks, very insightful...

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 am

If you are looking for comfort and a true cruiser the 1500 is the best..if you are 6' or taller..1800 a little cramped for 6 footers..1000 and 1100 a little under powered for two up and longggg days..Never had a 1200 but it only lasted for 3 years???
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

62MCRider

Postby 62MCRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 am

Thank you very much for the advice... Most helpful... This is a gr8 forum!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 am

The wife and I put a lot of 2-up miles on our 83 Int and I didn't really find it lacking in power.Yes it's true the 15 and the 18 have a lot more,but the 11 does fine 2-up as do the 1200's.The one downfall IMHO on any Wing as far as that goes is the stock seat,but your 11 seat being the age it is it will be extremely bad.If you plan on doing some miles I would suggest getting an aftermarket seat(any will be 10 times better than stock).
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

62MCRider

Postby 62MCRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 am

Gr8 point about the seat, a small investment there should go a long way. Thanks for the insight also on the 2 up riding. Even my V-Twin on my Harley (96 cu in) has plenty of power for us on the 2 up, just lacks longer range comfort...

CT1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I orginal owner

Postby CT1100 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 am

I am the original owner of a 83 Interstate. I have found it to be a great reilable ride that is easy to work on and has never let me down. Remember that it's 30 years old. If I did not know it's history I would plan on doing some extensive maintenance.

The 1100 has taken me from Canada to Florida and as far west as Colorado two up while pulling a trailer so power has never been an issue just pick the right gear. The 1100's need to rev a lot higher than your Harley.

I also own a 2006 HD Ultra Classic but, just can't come to selling the GW. I must admit that both bikes have their own strenghts but, if I needed to do a 1,000 mile day I would take the GW.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 pm

A little more info I have had several 1000's and 1100's. They are great bikes and a lot easier to work on than the 1500 or 1800's...but for comfort on long days no comparison 1500 is the best..in IMHO... and has a lot more standard features cruise control, heated vents, more vents, more safety features..like automatic shut offs for kick stand, auto off turn signals, better headlights, the stock seat is much better on the 1500. The 1800 has the most power by far but unless you like to crank it over 90 the 1500 will keep up with the 1800's..the 1000's and 1100's not so much they have to really work above 85 and the gas mileage plummets..above 65. The suspension on the 1500 is superior to all the others, I says this because the 1800's have an issue with the rear suspension and after a few years they lose half their range..and it's a $1200 fix..it's only new braided lines but it's a major job and the liens aren't cheap.

Of course the 1500 will cost you twice as much and you should stick with 97 and up a major transmission issue was fixed in late 96.

Again never had a 1200 so no info

FAIR WINDS,
RB

62MCRider

Postby 62MCRider » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:48 pm

CT1100 wrote:I am the original owner of a 83 Interstate. I have found it to be a great reilable ride that is easy to work on and has never let me down. Remember that it's 30 years old. If I did not know it's history I would plan on doing some extensive maintenance.

The 1100 has taken me from Canada to Florida and as far west as Colorado two up while pulling a trailer so power has never been an issue just pick the right gear. The 1100's need to rev a lot higher than your Harley.

I also own a 2006 HD Ultra Classic but, just can't come to selling the GW. I must admit that both bikes have their own strenghts but, if I needed to do a 1,000 mile day I would take the GW.

All good points here, I really appreciate al of this gr8 information... I love my Harley so a great second will be a must for longer distances two up and it sounds so far that the 1100 will do the job. And you are right about the Harley, it's a wonderful Torque Monster :^>

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:46 pm

RBGERSON wrote:A little more info I have had several 1000's and 1100's. They are great bikes and a lot easier to work on than the 1500 or 1800's...but for comfort on long days no comparison 1500 is the best..in IMHO... and has a lot more standard features cruise control, heated vents, more vents, more safety features..like automatic shut offs for kick stand, auto off turn signals, better headlights, the stock seat is much better on the 1500. The 1800 has the most power by far but unless you like to crank it over 90 the 1500 will keep up with the 1800's..the 1000's and 1100's not so much they have to really work above 85 and the gas mileage plummets..above 65. The suspension on the 1500 is superior to all the others, I says this because the 1800's have an issue with the rear suspension and after a few years they lose half their range..and it's a $1200 fix..it's only new braided lines but it's a major job and the liens aren't cheap.

Of course the 1500 will cost you twice as much and you should stick with 97 and up a major transmission issue was fixed in late 96.

Again never had a 1200 so no info

Not completely true about the 1800 rear suspension.The rear spring has a hydraulic preload and some say that the hose from the pump to the shock stretches and you don't get all of your preload.Some of the 18's didn't have the hydraulics completely filled at the factory(more common than stretched hoses).Also the rear springs weren't strong enough from the factory.You can buy a stainless hose(some still claim it's not necessary)for $50-60,a rear spring for approx $80 and if nothing else you can fill the system for a couple of bucks worth of oil.You could also get a new trike take-off rear shock/spring ass for around $100 and just make sure it's full on assembly.So if you can do the work yourself either way you are no where near a $1200 repair.Filling the stock system if pretty easy and takes less than an hour the first time you do it.If you change the whole spring/shock ass and take it out the bottom instead of out the top like the book says then it can be done in a couple of hours.If you want to change just the spring it's a bit more involved and you need a special tool to compress the spring.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 pm

" .... 1100's need to rev a lot higher than your Harley." - Absolutely. That is initially a frequent complaint by those accustomed to Harley big V twins.

There is a sweet spot above 4,000 rpm. This is Honda's idea of a big engine loafing at highway speed. Made by the same guys who raced a 250 cc 6 cylinder RC166 with 60 hp at 18,000 rpm on low octane fuel in order to burn faster. Miss a shift at 20,000 rpm and go directly into the pits.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:11 pm

true it's the labor that cost the most to fix the 1800 rear but it is a PITA to do..PS the test for a bad one is to drop the suspension to zero and then press the button to raise ..with your hand on the seat if you don't feel it starting to move until the numbers are past 3 or 4 you've got the problem some don't move until they hit the teens!! The higher the number the worse it is..you will also hear the pump change pitch when it starts to effect the spring it has to work harder when it engages the spring.

As said it it a problem with the hoses expanding and taking up more oil..never heard it's due to the factory not putting enough oil in in the first place..but seems like it would cause the same issue..

Anyone want to do a HOW to on this issue??? I have a friend who is a master mechanic and he's done a couple of them, several hours and a PITA according to him.

FAIR WINDS,
RB

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:12 am

The 83 is a nice bike, different that the Harley for sure,, You will sit taller in the seat, it will feel like a sportbike in a way on twisty turns and curves, having that fairing up there and stereo is cool, I had a really nice tricked out Nomad, I actually enjoyed riding the 81 I have more, it's lighter and taller,, fast enough too...Mine will scream down the road...It's plenty fast but I enjoy the ride and feel of having a older bike...It cost me $700.00 it was my brothers, I turned the thing around as a project bike as it was in poor condition... the 83 is way better for highway use, see the 80 and 81 was geared for the 55 mph speed limit back then but they changed it in 82& 83 for a more friendly highway speed, lower rpms is what it amounts to.....Gear ratio change... Really fun bike. I love my 81... :D Oh yeah, it sounds like an old ford fairlane when you open the throttle on an open road, that still makes me smile... I love that sound.... :lol:

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:31 am

RBGERSON wrote:true it's the labor that cost the most to fix the 1800 rear but it is a PITA to do..PS the test for a bad one is to drop the suspension to zero and then press the button to raise ..with your hand on the seat if you don't feel it starting to move until the numbers are past 3 or 4 you've got the problem some don't move until they hit the teens!! The higher the number the worse it is..you will also hear the pump change pitch when it starts to effect the spring it has to work harder when it engages the spring.

As said it it a problem with the hoses expanding and taking up more oil..never heard it's due to the factory not putting enough oil in in the first place..but seems like it would cause the same issue..

Anyone want to do a HOW to on this issue??? I have a friend who is a master mechanic and he's done a couple of them, several hours and a PITA according to him.

Like I said I filled mine(hose is fine)about 2 weeks after I got the bike.Took me less than an hour.Once you are you are in far enough to do that the hose change would be less than 10 min.I'm also a master mech,but I had never worked on an 1800 either.I've got a 2013 rear assembly to put on as soon as I can get the bike out of storage.I'll let you know how long it takes to change it out.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 am

Would be great if you could do a how to with pics..on how to get to the line..and chance/get to the pump.

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:08 am

RBGERSON wrote:Would be great if you could do a how to with pics..on how to get to the line..and chance/get to the pump.

You just pull the seat,right side sidecover and move the right side saddlebag back a bit(no need to remove it completely)and the pump and hose are right there.Biggest thing is to set the pump to Zero before you disassemble or the actuator piston won't be bottomed out and you'll never get it right full.Mine starts a zero now compared to 4 or 5 before I filled it.I'll have to get back to you on the shock replacement.Wanted to get at it today,but it's snowing and 0* C OR 32* F right now.

Sorry to the PO for the hijack of your thread.It's not hard for my feeble mind to get side tracked these days.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:26 am

62MCRider wrote:But I am considering a purchase of it's bigger brother and considering buying an '83 Aspencade. The looks are remarkably similar. I have never owned a Goldwing. I have an '07 Harley Heritage Softail Classic now, and my wife has an '11 Harley Sportster Ultra Low.

When we ride two up on the Heritage even 50 miles seems long. That's why I am considering the Wing. Any thoughts, suggestions, or stories would be helpful. I am about to pull the trigger on this purchase...

Welcome to the site MC. When I got my first Goldwing, I found this site, and there has been no looking back. The "How To" section, and all of the PM suggestions, and other Winger's experience, is unparalleled in helping a person be in charge of their own riding/repairing experience. Buy the Goldwing. You will be impressed at how user friendly it is, and WHATEVER problem you might run into, it will get solved here.

I've not had any problems with power riding 2 up, and keeping up with bigger bikes. It is a comfortable ride through and through, but you won't win any drag races. But the aim of this bike is comfort, and it does not disappoint.

At 65 MPH I get 42 MPG, at 75 MPH I get 38 MPG.

Run a course of Seafoam through the crankcase gently for around 100 miles and change the oil. It will help a lot. Change the timing belts so you KNOW yourself that it is done. Solder the three yellow wires to the stator, like it shows in the how to section , and consider putting LED lights wherever you can so you don't tax the stator with any electrical component add ons, i.e. radio, CB, fog lights, etc. as this is ONE drawback with these 1100's. The electrical power plant isn't the best. But one can always put on a regular alternator as referred to as "The Poor Boy Conversion". But I don't light mine up too much so it has never been a problem for me.

The worst thing that can happen for you buying the Wing is that you may not like it for some reason. But you will not lose money. You can resell it, or part it out, and won't be out a dime. But I believe you will actually fall in love with it, so you may want to let your wife know she will have some competition for your affections. Just don't give the bike a fancy girls name, and you'll be fine.

Have fun on here, and please keep us posted with you progress. We all love pictures with posts. Have a Happy Easter
Attachments

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:35 pm

OK boys and girls I owe everyone an apology.I got the bike into the garage and decided to tear into the rear shock change.Keep in mind this is my first time right into the shock.Filling the actuator was a piece of cake last time.The hose change not so much if you were just wanting a braided hose.While I believe it is possible to change the hose without pulling the fuel tank,I don't know if it would be much easier.Saying all that I'm still not convinced that the hose needs to be replaced.Anyway I yanked the tank,replaced the shock and pump and made sure it was full.On to bigger and better things.

Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”