Oil problems in the front fork leg

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
muf
Motorcycle: 1983 GL100 aspencade

Oil problems in the front fork leg

Postby muf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:48 pm

After removing the front forks off the GL1100 Aspencade and having them serviced by a reputable Honda workshop,I noticed a problem with the front end whereas the ride was very hard, so hard in fact that at one stage I found the vibration so bad my vision was effected, upon returning home I decided to replace the fork oil with a thinner grade. when I removed the drain plug from the right side to my dismay there was no oil in it, after removing the top section I found that all the oil was still sitting in that section of the tube and had not found its way to the lower section . could there be a problem with the oil seal, as there appears to be a blockage restricting the fluid the cycle appears to be a danger to ride

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Oil problems in the front fork leg

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 pm

There is an absolutely tremendous amount of hydraulic pressure pushing the oil through that port when the shock is compressed. Any blockage would be cleared fairly quickly. I don't know what was involved in the "servicing" of the forks, but it would seem to me that a trip back to the Honda shop with extreme prejudice would be in order. I would be screaming bloody murder. If they had the forks apart, they obviously did not put them back together correctly.

muf

Postby muf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Concerning the front fork servicing , I had the work carried as a result of a leaking seal, they informed me that new bushes, seals and O rings were installed, the first time I road tested the cycle the ride was very smooth and after a week or so of sitting in the garage, was when I observed the slight appearance of oil coming through the top dust seal/ Regards Muf

muf

Postby muf » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 am

As you advised, I have contacted the Honda Dealer and he informs me that he has never experienced a problem like this, he informs me that he would like the subject fork returned so it can be dismantled so the problem can be not only rectified, but used as a training subject for apprentices and future references, I will keep you posted on the outcome and thank you for your attention to the matter, Regards, Muf

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:16 am

muf wrote:As you advised, I have contacted the Honda Dealer and he informs me that he has never experienced a problem like this, he informs me that he would like the subject fork returned so it can be dismantled so the problem can be not only rectified, but used as a training subject for apprentices and future references, I will keep you posted on the outcome and thank you for your attention to the matter, Regards, Muf

That's exactly the kind of response I would wish to hear. Sounds like a good shop.

muf

Postby muf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm

I attended the Honda workshop and collected the front fork leg off the Goldwing, I was informed that upon inspection, a defect could not be located so it was assembled once more and returned to me free of charge, I reattached it to the cycle and a road test revealed that the bike was like new to ride, very pleased with the end result, I could not find out the problem to send on to other parties for future information, however, I am pleased with the outcome. Thank you for your reply. Kind Regards Muf

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”