Apple Cider Vinegar / Electrolsis to clean Gas Tanks GL1100A

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Apple Cider Vinegar / Electrolsis to clean Gas Tanks GL1100A

Postby kajunmisfitt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:09 am

Hello I am back !!!
I am wondering something, STATUS REPORT, Since I started having trouble with my GL1100A 1982 went south I have ask a few ? on here too see if I could figure this out and not have too worry if I am going to get stranded with engine problems. OK, (1st) ~~~ I replaced oil, hoses, oil and gas filters, gas and spark plugs. ( 2nd)~~~ I clipped the ends of the spark plug wires then was told I may have not screwed the ends all the way in. So I took the boots off that is attached to the spark plug wires and then they go up into the frame to the coil. (3rd)~~~ I ended up doing the taking out all the new gas out and filling the gas tank up with (APPLE CIDER VINEGAR). I was about an inch maybe a little more short of the neck of the tank from being 100% filled. so I in my small brain thinking that it would be ok too just top it off with water. So I did just that. So I waited over 2 hours to allow this too work. When I checked it WOW, it was not what I expected but still did not get all of it (rust) out. I then took out the vinegar and filled it up with water then emptied it out used a towel too get as much water out and the deposits out. then filed it up with gas. I went for a short ride and I am coming too the conclusion that I might need to do this electrolysis after all. I am not sure, if there is a rinse that I need to do after I get the vinegar out. Do I just do what I did and rinse with water then dry then go for a ride? So here is my question----- I am thinking about trying this "electrolysis" out on this bike. What I am wanting too know is "can I do this process while the tank is still mounted on my bike, or do I have to go tire my back wheel off or the saddle bags on back too get the tank out. Is there something I am missing in this process, after the vinegar and the electrolysis is finished that I have to do a rinse with a special mixture or just plain water or just go. Sorry, this is so long, but I have a few run this weekend, I would love to go and be in but it is starting too look like I am "not" going on these ride if this bike isn't running right. thanks again God Bless you guys for putting up with the like of "me". take care Anthony

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar / Electrolsis to clean Gas Tanks GL1

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:06 am

1st the vinegar method takes days not hours, muractic acid works in minutes. electrolysis can be done on the bike but you have to disconnect the bike battery and isolate the tank from the bike for best results.

after what ever method and you get the fluid out you can use a hair dryer to heat up the tank and dry the tank, put it in the fill neck and leave the fuel sender port open should only take a few minutes. If the tank is in the bike you can suck the water(but not gas if you do = boom!!!) out with a shop vac.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum ... -tank.html
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:44 pm

This is the first time I have heard of the Apple Vinegar trick for eliminating rust from your fuel tank. A few years back I had the same problem with rust. I had rebuilt the carbs and found a lot of rust in the bottom of the bowls. Instead of loosing a riding season I ran two fuel filters and changed them every couple of thousand miles. Then in the fall I pulled the tank and took it to a radiator shop who does "hot dipping". When I got it back it was nice and shinny again inside. You can't coat the inside because there is a screen covering the pickup tubes.

Removing the tank involves taking off the saddlebags and rear tire. You can then wiggle it out between the frame. It was not that difficult. I also changed the brake lines to stainless steel braided lines, made up by the same radiator shop. I was amazed at the difference in stopping power with the update. Old break lines get soft with time and will expand when you try and apply the breaks.

Keep your tanks full and if you are going to store it for any length of time use a fuel stabilizer that is made for ethanol based fuels to prevent the water from leaching out and rusting your tank again.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Ps use white vinegar not apple...

FAIR WINDS,
RB

kajunmisfitt
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

Postby kajunmisfitt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Ok, This all being said, the only thing I was wondering, AFTERWARD -------- When I finish with the vinegar (thanks for the head up on the white vinegar) or electrolysis, do I wash it out real good or do I coat it with something. Sorry if I seem not to understand what y'all are telling me. seem with Sunday coming within a 48-56 hours I am not going to do this run on since I am not wanting too be embarrassed and have a break down. I went and priced the acid $7.520 a gallon, and the coating for gas tanks is about $42.99 a 1/2 gallon. but with the electrolysis I am wondering if the washing out with water and gas,if that will stop the rust from returning. I know it will not return over night, but I am not wanting to do this again in 45 day-6 month down the road.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Buy a better tank. :roll: Regards, Johnyy

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

After you rinse it out and dry with hair dryer..you can spray it with a solvent wd40, oil, sealing kits usually come with a prep solution like POR15's, or fill with gas immediately..you can get rust very quickly called flash rust..

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”