starter dragging when warmed up.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
JimR1
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL 1100

starter dragging when warmed up.

Postby JimR1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:46 pm

My starting motor works well when the engine is cold, but when I ride for a while and the engine gets warm, the starting motor drags and turns over slow, do I get the starter rebuilt or buy a new one.. and then when the engine cools down the starter works good again..

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: starter dragging when warmed up.

Postby Dogsled » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Good question.....not too many starter issues on the site.....I hope you get alot of responses. Knowledge on this topic would be valuable......

In your case, I would hate to go to the Mall for a quick shopping trip....

Looking forward to this conversation from those who know....
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Time to get the starter rebuilt. What happens is as the starter gets hotter it buildds up more resistance in the connections so what you try to start the engine the starter takes so much power that it draws the battery down very fast. Worn brushes, bushings can be changed easy enough but if let go it can ruin the armature or fields meaning the core is no good, then the price goes way up.
Proud member Patriot Guard

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 pm

JimR1 wrote:My starting motor works well when the engine is cold, but when I ride for a while and the engine gets warm, the starting motor drags and turns over slow, do I get the starter rebuilt or buy a new one.. and then when the engine cools down the starter works good again..

On Ebay you can get an entire rebuild kit for around 30 bucks. If you follow this how to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259 you will have a brand new working starter.

The same thing happened to my starter. What I figure happens is that the bushings perform better when they are cold. But the grease in there is old too, and it is a combination of bushings, brushes, and commutator that make it slower when warm. Rebuild it, (or have it rebuilt) and keep us posted.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Just for info, why does the bike turn over cold???? If I start my bike, turn it off in an hour....it doesn't get hot (hotter) cause the engine was running? brushes bushings etc. work better with a bike that isn't warmed up and would take longer to start????

I always wondered about the starter.....heck, on my 1500, I don't even know where it's at.......

good grief, another headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:39 pm

OOPS, I was a hair to late. Okay explanation on why something starts cold.......no it's not.....I need more than that. OLD grease? Starting better cold than when everything is warmed up ?????
What were your pre-e-bay rebuild symptoms....
In reality there shouldn't be any difference between a car or bike starter issue in this case.......

Bushings brushes and commutator would/should react the same cold as hot. A warmed up engine should turn over way easier...........................shouldn't it??????

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 pm

I think I know what you are trying to ask; An engine when cold taks more power to start due to the choke has to work, several revolution before it will fire. Once running for the day, you can shut it off andit should pop rright off again. So the starter don't have to do as much work after the first start. Did that answer your question?

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 pm

True Dogsled, on a good starter all those parts should not change from hot to cold . But in a worn starter they make a huge difference between hot and cold, which is why as a starter ages if you pay attention to how the starter is reacting to the differences in temperature you can save yourself a surprise breakdown by taking care of this.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:57 pm

I had the same problem. Bike would start at the beginning of the day - but if I stopped for gas... bike would turn over like the battery was dead. I'd need a boost or have to push it to the side and wait for the engine to cool off - 30 mins to an hour or so. I followed the starter rebuild guide from this site... the starter turns over like it never had before. I had the carbon build up and the insulation on my starter brushes was gone. This made for a far higher draw at the starter, and a draw that increased as the starter got hot... more than our little batteries can handle. It took my 3 hours and that was only because I was on Daddy duty during the rebuild.

Rebuild it is the bottom line - you'll be amazed at the outcome.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:36 am

An engine will get slightly tighter after a hot soak but is not the reason for the slow crank.

It is all in the starter and the covering of internals with carbon build up which is a conductor. Expect to find the internals covered in dust and possibly worn brushes depending on mileage. The insulation on positive brush leads will also likely be long gone. All items which need to be addressed.

As the starter heats up parts expand and with the carbon it causes just enough of the current to leak into unwanted pathways internally to mess the starter up. An internal short if you will.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks, learn something new everyday.

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Had the same problem last year..took off the starter cleaned and re-lubed it..worked Ok for a while.
Last time i rode the bike to work last fall i forgot to turn off the gas..been having some carb probs. motor Hydraulic-ed hard. took out the starter relay.
this spring i replace the relay and went to start the bike..(Bad words) starter is fried! removed starter tried to clean it up , looked bad..but stubbornness superseded common sense...starter is shot!
removed starter took it to local electric shop to rebuild..they said it is toast!! they had 3 rebuilt starters though $160. plus tax ..so off i went to replace starter..this is where it really goes to hell for me.
Starter will not fit! spline shaft on starter is ruff and poorly redone. so after a couple of hours of trying to get this thing installed i gave up...
day 2.. went to local starter shop returned starter and they gave me two more to see if they will work....day 2 no starter in bike!
day 3 wen back this morning (Bad Words) went through problems with there tech. they do not rebuild those starters they buy them elsewhere.... he opted to put new electric parts into my old starter and give me that to try...quality of rebuild shaft splines as well as starter gear SUCK as i pointed out to Tech...He concurred. but they want me happy and will do what is necessary to get this to work. any thoughts on this matter.?
Larry B

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Sounds like they are trying to make good. Hope it works out for you.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am

Final update on starters from Hell.
well folks what I ended up doing was swapping the new rebuilt starter body and using the OEM original drive head on starter. took 5 minutes to install.
It looks to me that the starter gear is the critical part. the original starter gear is very High quality and fits in the chain perfect. there for allowing it to center in chain and be center as starter is installed...Dog Gone it anyway..o well...
it work like brand new now though...
If I remember right. the Raddack kits do Not come with new float vlv. seats.
LB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”