did timing belt change- questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sbaugz
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 standard

did timing belt change- questions

Postby sbaugz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm

So I followed the instructions here for changing timing belt. I think I did everything as instructed however I have a couple concerns.

Firstly, while doing the belt change, the left pulley moved about a tooth clockwise after I removed belts. With all the belts off, I just turned the left pulley back counterclockwise back to the position of the hash mark. There isn't any problems with moving the right or left pulleys without belts in place to get them properly lined up again before putting new belts on is there?

The other main concern ( and real reason for this post) is that the left side seems tensioned real nice, but the right side seems to have more slack in the belt as it passes over top (the part of belt that is above belt tensioner but not touching tensioner). Seems like maybe there is more slack than I remember the belt that was removed had. I tried stretching the belt tight and jumping one more notch over the pulley but it just won't stretch, so I am pretty sure its in the right slots on the pulleys. The hash marks are lined up like they should. Please refer to pics below.

All these pics below are with the new belts on, the tensioners tightened down, and the motor was taken through about three complete revolutions by hand. Sorry about the dark pictures.

pic #1 show the left side hash marks lined up

pic #2 shows the right side hash marks lined up

pic #3 shows the left side lower belt with some mild pressure applied with screwdriver. It is pretty well tensioned and doesn't really move much

pic#4 shows the right side as it sits without me applying pressure.

pics #5 is the same view as pic#4 but I am applying a little pressure with a screwdriver. You can see that the belt moves down a good 3/4" with pressure applied on belt.

As stated above, I am pretty sure I followed the steps correctly. My only thought was that I needed to stretch the belt one more tooth over the right sprocket but I tried this and it just won't stretch far enough. It only stretches about 1/4 of a belt tooth more when I attempt this- definately not enough to allow me to stretch an entire tooth.

Thoughts?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: did timing belt change- questions

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:53 am

The marks are where they should be when the belts are tight.
The idler pulley is suppose to take up the slack.
Don't assume that the spring will properly tension the belts,you may have to manually tap on them,test the tension and check again.
Always rotate the engine by hand a few rotations then recheck the tension and marks.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Because of the way the valve springs apply tension to the cams, the cams are different when in the static, factory, "check tension here" setting, as you've noticed when the right side shifts as soon as you've popped the belt off.

So!
Rotate the engine a turn so the cams AREN'T where the manual says they must be (cam marks pointing inward), and reapply the tensioner for the right cam.

Easy-peasy.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544
Post #4.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

tallman21
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100i

Postby tallman21 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:45 pm

not to commandeer the thread but i had my timing belts done last week at a bike shop and i have noticed alot more noise coming from the front of the bike. almost as if the valves are even more noisy. is this normal? the bike is running completely normal other than that.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Timing or valves are off. Most people have a hard time getting the "spring compression" side timed correct, Regards, Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”