Front Caliper quesion

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
triketrash
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Front Caliper quesion

Postby triketrash » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 am

Just put my front end together with new-to-me forks from RoadRogue (thanks buddy.) When I torque the bolts to spec that hold the calipers to the brackets, the brakes really hang up. If I back off on them a bit, the front wheel turns more freely. What does this tell you?

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Front Caliper quesion

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:22 am

Tells me that you need to take the callipers back off and make sure your brake pistons are fully retracted and that you properly lubed the pins with Silicon grease, so the the callipers move freely.
If they still lock up on you then you need to flush your brake lines, making sure the little return port in each master cylinder is not blocked.
Can't back off on the mounting bolts as they will back right out and the calliper will fall down/off, possibly jamming the front wheel and cause you to go down.

plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm

I would also loosen the axle and readjust as in the manual for caliper spacing.

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 pm

well I figured out the problem- hard to describe, but just above the rubber bellows is the nut that the caliper bolt threads into- it's not a complete circle, but sort of D shaped and the edged side has to sit against an edge of the caliper- Well it wasn't- it had turned somewhat so the bolt wasn't able to seat properly. Anyway, sorted that out and the brakes are working fine. THanks guys.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Thank you for telling us how it turned out. It is refreshing when someone comes back to tell us the final solution.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Is that fact listed in the manual????? I'm assuming the manual called the rubber item a 'bellows'? I would hate to download a manual for your year bike, but I can't even figure out what you're saying. Like dusty said the brakes are 'basic' and his remedy was every scenario I ever heard of........elaborate, please......
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Do you have a particular manual in mind Dogsled? I do have one, but I don't find it very helpful- I much prefer using the "how to" articles. And no, the terms I'm using are not technical, but the best I can do with the knowledge I have. By rubber bellows, I mean the cylindrical "accordian" sort of thing that the caliper bolts thread into.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 pm

I was thinking of http://goldwingdocs.com/Manuals.asp

for your bike.

It's hard to deal with personal terminology. i.m not saying you're wrong just trying to direct you to explaining things in the same terminolgy we would all use to cut to the chase.................... That's some pretty bad a** stuff there, 'rubber bellows' and 'cylindrical accordian'.......I bet you could make even my head stone sound exciting......... :lol:

All BS aside, this is all life and death decisions you are making, be sure you know what you're doing before you pull out of the garage......................ride safe.

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 pm

had a look at those manuals- trying to open and find something there is like eating for sawdust to me. It's not rocket science dogsled. There's only one rubber dust boot on my single piston front caliper- the pin that it covers has an odd shaped head that fits against an edge on the caliper. The pin was turned so that it didn't sit where it was supposed to. Got that sorted out now- brakes are working fine. That's the best I can do on description buddy:)

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm

hey as long as it works for you, great. ride safe

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:19 pm

There are two pieces of rubber on the brakes. In both cases, their job is to keep grease in and dust out, so that the caliper slides easily as the pads wear.

The first one is actually two small pieces of rubber that fit into the caliper. A pin fits into the middle of them:

Fully installed:

This pin should float back and forth easily, with the rubber sealing the ends.

The other is the "bellows" which fits into the brake caliper:

This lubricated pin on the caliper slides into that "bellows":

All of this (and much more) can be seen in How to rebuild your front brake calipers

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes a picture is worth a thousand words- but- your photos are of the two piston caliper, not the single as on my bike. It is different. Shoot, let me take a photo, so I can try to give you guys a better explanation.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Well Triketrash, it's gonna be hard to take any pictures since you're already done......to bad we can be like Scott and take pictures of every move we make....Sh** man, that's an art in itself. I just put a set of progressive 412's on my bike and had the camera sitting right next to me the whole time and never took a shot.

I know what you mean about the 'sawdust' in manuals, that's why the How-To-Articles are great on this site.....BUT??????

The front caliper for the bike you have in this section shows a dual piston. Who's wrong here.......oops ??????????

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey Man- Well I have a parts bike that's half taken apart so I should able to take a shot of that. I know what you mean though- photography in the heat of the battle is not my forte either! It takes some real discipline to document your progress, when all you really want to do is gitter done:) Thank you again Scott for that- it's wonderful having these how- to's - can't say it enough times.

As far as the discrepancy in the type of piston, I believe that some 1100's have the single and some have dual and Scott's obviously has the dual. I believe they changed that for the '82s and mine's an 81.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Dude you are so right about the pictures......it's a discipline in itself. You get so induldged working and missing one step is so easy......Two people would be a heck of alot easier but no more or less detailed than scotts work.....Kudos.......there are so many little things you can leave out that will stump someone.......................you sure that's ONE piston??????????

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Ya I'm sure- Here- check this out: You can't see the parts I'm talking about but you can see what a single piston caliper looks like. Mother of all links here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing- ... 4b&vxp=mtr

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Yeow, single piston for 9 years????????

firstwing81GL1100
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I INTERSTATE

Postby firstwing81GL1100 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Does anyone know if the 82 front brakes with the twin piston calipers will be a direct swap for the 81 GL with the single pistons? I can imagine I would have to change the bracketry maybe?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”