Steering head bearings

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Steering head bearings

Postby vaughn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:23 pm

My 83 Aspencade started shaking on deceleration. It never done it before. This is when the bike is straight up. It only has 29,000 miles.
Could it need new steering head bearings or just re torqued?

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Steering head bearings

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 am

Could be either, or just in need of a new front tire.
If you place the bike on the centre stand and jack it up so the front tire is off the ground and turn the bars back and forth slowly, if the bearings are shot, you will feel a slight notchiness when turning the bars.
Also, grab the fork tubes and push/pull them forward and backwards. There shouldn't be any play discernable

Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:17 am

My new to me 83 Interstate also has a wobble that I soon need to address. Mine has 30K miles. When on the centerstand with the front wheel lifted off the ground the bearings feel smooth as glass. There is no play when grabbing the forks but if you give the handlebars a slight push from center, the fork falls without resistance and actually hits the stop with a "klunk". I'm sure that the bearing just needs a bit more tension on it. BTW, does anyone have a link to the article on how to make the top nut tool? I saw one somewhere on the net but I didn't bookmark it and now can't find it!

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 am

Here's a picture of the ones I made.Note the slots in the side.That is so you don't have to get the turn signal cancelling wires disconnected to retorque.If you don't have access to a welder you could just grind out 4 teeth on an old socket.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”