Damaged Finish With Adhesion Promoter

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Damaged Finish With Adhesion Promoter

Postby mytown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I waited months to get to this job and thought I remembered that the promoter was applied to the piece, like a cleaner. Now I know better:

Am I correct in assuming that the finish has been damaged and that it is not simply a matter of somehow removing the promoter from the side covers? I tried wiping it with a little alcohol then soap and water but that seemed to just spread the problem around.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Damaged Finish With Adhesion Promoter

Postby dingdong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 am

Sounds like you have used an adhesive promoter that is for repairing ABS plastic. Which actually softens the ABS so that the repair parts can be "welded" together. You have more than likely damaged the clear coat and possibly the paint. You might try using a rubbing compound to see if you can clean it up. Otherwise it's re-paint time.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:58 pm

dingdong wrote:Sounds like you have used an adhesive promoter that is for repairing ABS plastic. Which actually softens the ABS so that the repair parts can be "welded" together. You have more than likely damaged the clear coat and possibly the paint. You might try using a rubbing compound to see if you can clean it up. Otherwise it's re-paint time.

I used 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter 06396 for plastic trim attachment. There were no instructions on the packet, but I found a Technical Data Sheet which states in part: "Apply a thin, uniform coating to the bonding surface," Well, I remember now reading this that when I bought the stuff several months ago. At that time I wasn't sure what was meant by "bonding surface." Not only did I forget ever reading that, but In my haste I failed to take the advice I gave myself at that time which was something like, "Make sure you find out what is meant by "bonding surface" " So I forgot that I had read the instructions and I also forgot the advise I gave myself at the time. And I'm only 62! Anyways, for lack of a better idea, I used Simple Green Purple and washed and rinsed them in fairly hot water about 4-5 times until they would not improve. I applied the badges and emblems then applied several coats of wax. Things turned out OK, although there is some dulling to the middle of the side covers:

I think I got lucky and will be able to forego the re-paint, although for awhile I was sure that I was headed in that direction. Thanks for the reply.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:54 am

That look pretty good. You lucked out.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”