Aspencade Speedo

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Aspencade Speedo

Postby Jeeper » Sat May 15, 2010 8:22 am

I have an '83 Aspendcade with the LDC instrument panel.

I suspect my speedometer is off, but not sure if there's anything I can do about it. I jumped on the interstate yesterday and was running with regular traffic in the slow lane and according to my speedo I was doing 80mph. This seems quite a bit high considering that every car was traveling at this speed, some a little faster. As I payed more attention to it, I got the impression that it was reading about 10mph high. I'm going to try and find out today when I go on a ride with a friend and we'll compare readings.

I know the speedo is electronic so I suspect there's nothing I can fix other than replacing the instrument panel. I know the sensor works because I am getting a reading. The PO had put spade connectors on the sensor wires under the fairing for some reason. Could a bad connection on one of the three wires cause a false reading?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Aspencade Speedo

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 15, 2010 6:59 pm

That system tends to either work perfectly, or it doesn't work at all. There are a few other things that can cause it, such as smaller tires than normal - does your bike have the original tires?

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Jeeper » Sun May 16, 2010 7:06 am

WingAdmin wrote:That system tends to either work perfectly, or it doesn't work at all. There are a few other things that can cause it, such as smaller tires than normal - does your bike have the original tires?

Thats what I thought but figured I would throw this out there. I don't believe the tires size is the issue as it would have to be quite a discrepancy for the speedo to be more than a mile or two off. I went with a friend yesterday and a couple times checked my speed against his and they were very close. I guess I'll monitor the situation and see if I can find something actually wrong, or just admit the old wing cruises at 80mph like it was nothing. That I can believe, but I still find it hard to believe that all the other cars in the slow lane were going that fast too.

I saw a few other Wingers at an open house at the Honda dealer in Lewiston Maine yesterday. A lot of GL1500s. Not sure if anyone else here on the board was there. I'm still amazed at just how quiet the 1500s are. I know my old '83 needs a new exhaust but it will never be that quiet, too much engine whine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 16, 2010 12:17 pm

The other thing you can do is check your speed against a GPS. I have a GPS on my bike, and I'm amazed at how accurate my old speedo is against it - it's virtually always within 1 mph or so of the GPS speed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”