installed throttle push cable- problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sbaugz
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 standard

installed throttle push cable- problems

Postby sbaugz » Fri May 02, 2014 8:40 am

1983 Goldwing GL1100 i

So I was cleaning my throttle cables and realized that the closing cable (push cable) was broken. Who knows how long its been broken, but needless to say there weren't any issues with throttle operation because the pull cable and the return spring are both functioning fine. I figured as long as I had the bike half apart, I would replace the closing cable. Ordered a new one from motion pro and installed it the other day. With the closing throttle now installed, the throttle will not return back to idle when you release it. It just binds and stops whereever you release the hand grip. As soon as I disconnect the push (return cable), it operate fine, so clearly the installation of the push cable has resulted in binding somewhere.

The closing cable has no way of adjusting length, it is fixed from motion pro. I messed around with the length of the opening throttle cable but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Any thoughts? I guess I am tempted to simply disconnect the closing cable and not use it. Probably isn't necessary anyways due to the heavy duty return spring, but I figured I spent $15 on the cable, I should at least try and get it to work properly.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: installed throttle push cable- problems

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 02, 2014 10:41 am

How did you adjust the cable tension? Remember the old cable was just that - old - so it will have stretched a bit. If the cable is installed and adjusted too tight, it will bind up, either in the cable itself, or on the twist grip. Did you lubricate the cable before putting it in? I always fire graphite lube down the inside of new cables before installing them. Are you sure you routed the new cable exactly like the old one was? And lastly, when you reassembled the twist grip, did you route the cable inside properly, so it isn't binding up anywhere inside of it?

sbaugz

Postby sbaugz » Fri May 02, 2014 11:08 am

WingAdmin wrote:How did you adjust the cable tension? Remember the old cable was just that - old - so it will have stretched a bit. If the cable is installed and adjusted too tight, it will bind up, either in the cable itself, or on the twist grip. Did you lubricate the cable before putting it in? I always fire graphite lube down the inside of new cables before installing them. Are you sure you routed the new cable exactly like the old one was? And lastly, when you reassembled the twist grip, did you route the cable inside properly, so it isn't binding up anywhere inside of it?

I did not adjust new cable because the new cable doesn't seem to have anywhere to adjust it. It is fixed in length and there is no way to adjust length where it enters throttle tube. I am going to check at the carb end again later today to see if maybe I am missing some way to adjust the actual cable mount coming off carb.

I did lube up cable with silcone spray until it dripped out other side prior to install. No binding is noted at throttle tube.

I am thinking maybe I need to loosen the actual pull (opening) throttle cable so that there is slack at the closing cable because otherwise I just don't see any way to lengthen or loosen the closing cable.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 02, 2014 11:33 am

There are two places to adjust throttle cable tension, both are on the pull cable. The first, main one, is underneath the air filter box:

The second one, for fine adjustments, is right at the twist grip itself:

You can see the procedure and specifications for correct adjustment here: How to replace your throttle cables

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Sounds to me like you may have been sent the wrong cable. I replaced both of mine a few years back with motion pros and there are adjustments on them, just as shown in WingAdmins pics.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

sbaugz

Postby sbaugz » Sat May 03, 2014 6:12 am

Figured it out. The push cable has no way of adjusting but what I needed to do was loosen the pull cable significantly at the middle adjuster, which took tension off the entire system and ultimately took tension indirectly off the push cable.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 04, 2014 9:25 am

sbaugz wrote:Figured it out. The push cable has no way of adjusting but what I needed to do was loosen the pull cable significantly at the middle adjuster, which took tension off the entire system and ultimately took tension indirectly off the push cable.

Correct. That's what I mention in the link I posted earlier.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”