Fork Alignment

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Fork Alignment

Postby FlashBack » Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Hope everyone is well
I had a shop replace my fork seals, and when I got the bike back, I could here some rubbing, so I decided to investigate.
I needed to replace my speedo hub so I followed the instructions in the how to article for removing the front wheel. I went far enough that is was able to replace the speedo drive unit. I pulled the axle and spacer, cleaned them up and regreased the axle lightly. I then began re assembly. and it appeared to line up properly
I tightened the axle nut then positioned the tire under the front forks and began dropping the forks on to the axle. The side with the axle nut and speedo seated right but, the right fork still had some room to go. When I seat it all the way, there is no clearance between the rotor and the caliber mount.
It appears, with some measurement, the right fork is sitting a bit higher than the left one, thus creating mis-alignment.
I'm new to Goldwings so my question is how to I get the forks even so that when I drop the forks onto the axle, they seat evenly allowing me the clearance I need between the rotor and the brake caliper mount?
I try to be as self sufficient as possible when it comes to bikes and really don't like relying on shops, so, I am looking at this situation as a learning opportunity.
Any suggestions and/or pictures would be most helpful.
Thank you

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Fork Alignment

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat May 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Maybe the fork is not positioned correctley in the triple tree? You should be able to tell by looking. Regards., Johnyy

FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Postby FlashBack » Sat May 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Maybe the fork is not positioned correctley in the triple tree? You should be able to tell by looking. Regards., Johnyy

Could you elaborate? looking at it everything looks well. Maybe I am missing something. Im getting old don't ya know :D

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun May 04, 2014 7:31 am

Right were the top of the forks clamp onto the bike, on my 1980 the top of the forks are both level with the top of the clamp. Regards, Johnyy

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun May 04, 2014 7:57 am

Yep, the top of forks should be flush with the top triple tree clamp..another possiblility if you aired up the forks one could have more air and be longer if they have a separate air system..some PO's remove the balancing tube..

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”