Front brakes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
skorpion
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100AD 1983 Aspencade
Honda GL1000
And way to many others :)

Front brakes

Postby skorpion » Sat May 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi all , just joined Goldwing docs mainly because I can't find any info on the problem I have.
I bought a GL1100 AD a few weeks ago, I think it's a US import if that helps.
On buying it I was told it had just been fully serviced :lol:
So far I have fixed the side lights and indicators.
And started on the front brakes out of the four pistons only one was working, yes I did ride it home 130 miles.
My question is should the pistons in the front callipers be the same size on both sides ?
I have 32mm pistons on the kerb side and 25mm pistons on the off side.
Wouldn't this make the bike pull to one side ?
My first thought is one of them might of been replaced with a rear brake as the rear also has 32mm pistons.
thank you for any help in advance.

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Re: Front brakes

Postby 82aspen » Sat May 03, 2014 8:50 pm

by your avatar info, looks like we are talking 83 so diff sized pistons on the fronts is normal,

stock 83 is also the start and first year for 'linked' brake systems

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun May 04, 2014 7:19 am

Correct on the different sizes. On the 83 the hand lever operates the left front brake caliper only and the foot pedal operates the right front as well as the rear.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

skorpion
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100AD 1983 Aspencade
Honda GL1000
And way to many others :)

Postby skorpion » Sun May 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks, so it's normal to have different sized pistons and yes it is the 1983 model I'm asking about.
ok, it looks like they are linked.
Is it best to leave them linked and learn to use my foot a bit more ?
There's no way the front off side was working as the rusty disk would of cleaned up on the ride home.
I'm going to fit new seals all-round so I'll know the brakes will work I might go mad and fit new pads while I'm at it.
thanks for your help :)

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Postby 82aspen » Sun May 04, 2014 4:43 pm

skorpion wrote:Is it best to leave them linked and learn to use my foot a bit more ?

the 2 systems (linked vs non linked) aren't an easy (relatively) bolt on back and forth

off the top, going unlinked would require acquiring a slew of matching parts from the 82 non linked system, 3 calipers/front mounting brackets, the front fork mounts are different and you would lose 83 anti-dive features (may mater, may not), front master cylinder suitable to operate 2 discs... quite a few things to consider and might only be viable if the current linked system is totally shot, or money is no object etc, these are considerations going with stock parts,

lotsa folks upgrade by swapping out whole front ends from modern sports bikes

prob way cheaper to sort out the linker sys and give it a go

witch system is better is prob more a personal preference thing and ultimately you can go either way, the linked system was widely used and adopted by others, and stuck around so wouldn't say it's a big deal to use, or get used to either way

the 82 front fork also doesn't come with a stock built-in brace, most reports i've seen are the 83 front end performs all round much better than before

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Sun May 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Welcome, I just sold my GL1100 Aspencade couple weeks ago, getting use too the brake pedal takes a little time but is a very good system. You start to do your braking with the pedal and add the hand brake as you need it to slow you quicker, as you a come up on a stop lay off the hand brake for the last 5-10 MPH and you will make a nice smooth stop.

I would not swap out the 83 for the 82 system as it is not as near as good of a front end, and as other said not worth the cost. Honda went to this system and it helped save a lot of lives, so many ridders would only use the pedal, they thought if you use the hand brake you would do an "end over" which was totaly false. Ridders would lock up the rear wheel and end up in a slide, the hand brake might have stopped them befor they hit anything and a lot never walked away. Thats my $.02. :mrgreen:

DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”