Pumpkin Leak

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
triketrash
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Pumpkin Leak

Postby triketrash » Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 pm

After riding for a couple of hundred miles with the bags and fender off the back end to keep an eye on the new final drive/ flange combo everything looked nice and dry. Wouldn't you know it, I buttoned it all back up last week and parked it for a rainy week. I went down to the hangar today and saw a puddle of gear oil under the back wheel. Unreal. I guess the seal failed on THIS final drive now. I think I remember someone saying it needs a press or some other fancy equipment to change the seals? Anybody ever do this, or do most guys just buy a used one. How about a nice new HOW TO on how to recondition your final drive Scott? Pretty Please? Anyway, if somebody needs a leaky core, I've got two of them now:)

triketrash

Re: Pumpkin Leak

Postby triketrash » Mon May 05, 2014 5:48 pm

So this is what I'm looking at. Oil coming out of the little vent at the bottom there. Anybody care to chime in? Does the average Joe tear into the final drive and replace seals, or just buy a new/ used one. There seem to be plenty on ebay for 25 bucks but it seems like a bit of a crap shoot as far as getting a leaker or not. I already have 2 of those!

glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby glasshead » Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 pm

I had the exact same question. I was even going to take a picture. Mine is not dripping on the ground yet, but I may not have taken a long enough ride for it to drip.

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Well the weird thing is that it was fine when I was riding frequently for 2 weeks- The bike sat for a few days and then the puddle showed up. It's now actively dripping. I have a hunch the seal just failed- just bad timing. Given that I didn't hear anybody saying they'd re-sealed one of these, I'm assuming that most guys don't- they just buy a used one and hope for the best. Which is exactly what I did a couple of hours ago- found one with 35K on it for 26 bucks, shipping in. I hope this one runs dry- otherwise I'm gonna have to start decorating my house in the pumpkin theme!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Tue May 06, 2014 6:34 pm

I checked one of the GL1100 at work and it too is leaking in the same place. There must be a seal inside that goes bad. I'm going to check at a parts site and see how many seals are in the unit.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Tue May 06, 2014 7:02 pm

OK Trikelady- yes I believe there area 2 or 3 in there and I've looked at a schematic, but the question I have is can you replace them with just average tools. I think I heard that press is required.

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Wed May 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Got the wheel off the bike...... again- I can't tell you how many times I've done this over the past few months- feels like WAY too many anyway:)

So, nothing too surprising here- gear oil leaking from somewhere inside the differential and out onto the hub, then onto the wheel.

OK- I'm ready for my new/used drive to show up in the mail - time to start praying that it doesn't leak.

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Wed May 07, 2014 4:05 pm

This is becoming an all-too familiar sight in my world:

The bike is spending a lot more time looking like this than rolling down the road unfortunately :cry:

OK- I'm finished whining now- just had to get that off my chest.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”