Clutch Basket Tool ???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Ptatsoc
Motorcycle: 1980 Standard has 83 Motor & Forks & has been dressed out

Clutch Basket Tool ???

Postby Ptatsoc » Sun May 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Need some help removing a clutch basket, the inner most nut, not the nut to remove the plates, the one behind that with the 40mm cir-clip behind it. Where can I purchase the special tool or what size socket can I cut up to fit to remove the nut. I have an 83 motor with 110K on it and replaced the friction plates at 95k and the basket was badly worn, smoothed the rough areas best as possible at the time. I have acquired an 81 engine with 25k on it (suffered sudden stop syndrome) and the clutch basket looks like new. What is the best way to pull the basket. Once I get the salvage one out I will drop the engine out of the daily driver and swap clutch baskets and install a C5 ignition, and do some other maintenance while the engine is out.

deadwoodspecial
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: Clutch Basket Tool ???

Postby deadwoodspecial » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 am

I am in the same predicament!! This has been an ongoing issue that I have been trying to figure out for two months now... Anyone have any helpful suggestions?? I have gone through dealers, all the tool resources I can think of, and several different mechanics. I have not come up with an answer as of yet. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as this has me about to my wits end...

Ptatsoc
Motorcycle: 1980 Standard has 83 Motor & Forks & has been dressed out

Postby Ptatsoc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:06 pm

If you are actually having the same problem I did reread the book pull the cir-clip, unbolt the oil pump and the outer clutch basket and oil pump slide right off. When some one finally explained it to me I felt pretty foolish. If the inside part of the basket unbend the tabs and cut a 1 1/4 in socket to fit the nut and remove it.

deadwoodspecial
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby deadwoodspecial » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:00 am

That did the trick!!! Now I can continue the project!! Thank you so much!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”