Remove Fairing?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Remove Fairing?

Postby FallenHeavens » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 am

I want to strip down a 1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Aspencade [that I just purchased today] to give it a bit more of a Cafe Racer vibe, but not completely. I want to still be able to utilize the side saddlebags, but just about everything else can go, especially the fairings and tow hitch in back [I can't imagine any scenario where I'll use this].

I've found a couple areas online that give some information about removing the fairing but they either give very little information, or the subject is something along the lines of replacing a speedometer and all the responses are about why you don't need to remove the fairing to do so. Any information would be greatly appreciated as to how I can remove the fairing entirely, as well as the tow hitch.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Remove Fairing?

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 am

First you need to find a replacement headlight setup..headlight and ears to hang it from the Oem ears are hard to find..generic aftermarkets are around. removing the fairing is fairly simple but under neath is a weight which has to go too. Unplug the wires on the left side inside the fairing. Once you removed the lowers you can see two nuts on the bottom of each side remove them, then toward the front and underneath there are bolts at teh end of the front mounting piece which have to taken off..I think that's's been awhile. Then youi remove the cowl stay..this may help ... veh=132950

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Remove Fairing?

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 am

Remove both lowers 2 screws on top and one at the bottom of each.
There are two nuts on each side that need to be removed-They are just forward of your knees.
I take the turn signals out in front to place a clip to hang the fairing in place. Then remove the 6 screws in front by the front wheel. Disconnect the electrical plug. Then just lift away.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”