Lingering White Smoke

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FallenHeavens
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Lingering White Smoke

Postby FallenHeavens » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 pm

About an hour ago I noticed something that hasn't been happening with my bike up until this point - a light white smoke that kind of tends to linger, and it has a moderately strong smell. The engine was cold, but it's not particularly a cold day outside: about 79 degrees Ferinheight [26 Celsius]. If I had my service manual already I'd just consult that, but since I'm still waiting for delivery and I assume I'm not the only person on here that's experienced the same thing, does anyone happen to know what the issue could be, how serious it is, and how much it would cost to fix the issue?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Lingering White Smoke

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Look under the front of the engine.Kinda on the left of center.Theres a weep hole for the water pump should its seals fail.Your strong smell may be antifreeze dripping there and migrating to the exhaust.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 am

Is it actually coming out of the exhaust and lingering around, or is it just "appearing" when the engine gets warmed up?

FallenHeavens

Postby FallenHeavens » Thu May 08, 2014 10:40 am

So originally it was coming out right at start up and would continue to get worse as the engine warmed up. Today I went and checked on it and although the bike started right up [usually requires using the choke and babying it for a few minutes] and it didn't produce the same smoke at all, as I revved it to about 2-3k the white smoke returned. It's a lot less than it was yesterday, but it's still something I'm not too sure it should be doing.

Before it was a heavier smoke [compared to what it's putting out now] and would linger for a minute or two after I turned off the bike, but now it doesn't seem to be hanging around at all, my guess is due to how little it's putting out now.

Any advice or suggestions?

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Are you now out of or low on coolant?
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:04 am

cold damp days can produce condensation in the exhaust which as the pipes warm produce white smoke that goes away over time. Living in FL my bikes smoke every morning but once engine is warm (about 100 degrees it is all gone)
if you are smelling a sweet smell it is likely coolant and that indicates a head gasket (which is fairly easy to change out).
My advice is to check the coolant level and top off and check the oil (see if there is any coolant in it) then start the bike and allow it to warm up to operating temps while watching the exhaust. if it starts with white smoke but gets worse and worse shut it down and plan to replace head gaskets. if it goes away you might have condensation (or it could still be a head gasket) a sweet smell is a sure sign of coolant (water alone does not have a strong sweet smell).

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Postby Grindl » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:59 pm

After thirty-five years on GL's ; the one thing I've learned is that when you start getting white smoke out of your exhaust pipes , that wasn't there before , just order the top-end gasket set , and prepare to pull "BOTH" heads . The culprit is usually the right side head ( as you sit on the bike ) since it is farthest from the water pump , and gets the circulating fluid last . But ; ( yup...there's always a but .) If you are going to tear it apart to do one , I recommend doing both . Why do only half the job ; just so you can go back and tear the bike apart again , six months or a year later . I live in Arizona where condensation in the pipes isn't much of a issue , but we do have extreme temperature variances thru the year , and every time I've lost a head gasket , it has always been in the fall when we start getting our much cooler night temps , compared to our summer "day/night" temps. Me thinks the cooler night temps cause a change of torque value on the head bolts and allow the gasket to begin being burned during start-up and warm-up periods . And yes . It is progressive . It will only get worse .
My Wings have been my sole and primary transportation for the same thirty-five years , and I don't own a car . I do all of my own maintenance & repairs , and ride 50-60,000 miles a year . No expert ; but knowledge-able about keeping them on the road . The "fix" is simple . The "job" is a pain-in-the-Butt . Good luck with it .

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:37 pm

I fully agree. I live in Florida and have replaced head gasket(s) several times.
One thing I have learned is not to go cheap, but only Honda gaskets. For some reason these bikes do not like aftermarket head gaskets.

kdurfee

Postby kdurfee » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:39 pm

I agree with Grindl. I just replaced my head gasket on both sides. The one that failed was cylinder number three. It gave me a couple of signs before it failed: white vapor on start-up was one of them. Better fix it before you bike leaves your stranded on the freeway like mine did.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:21 pm

I agree also- head gasket.
I have changed mine also, and while I was in there I also lapped the valves. It was time well spent, the bike runs so much better and it starts at the touch of the starter button.
I know Goldwings are reputed to be hard on head gaskets. Is this true on all the wings or just the 1100"s ?
I would think that as years progressed design changes would make this less of a problem.
On a side note, I have read with interest all of the good things said about Seafoam on this forum, and I use it a couple times a year. The first time I used it on my bike ( 73000 miles on the beast) I put 8 oz In the oil, drove for 100 miles and drained the oil- I got a whole bunch of- well - nothing :? . I then cleaned the oil screen and there was a deposit on the screen about 1/4 the size of a dime. The rest of the screen was clean.
I realize regular oil changes prevent excessive sludge build up. But to this degree? I expected a lot of crap in the oil, but there wasn't. With that many miles I was surprised. Perhapes the P.O. was a seafoam fan! Regards, Johnny

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Johnny, perhaps the po of your bike used synthetic oil which is highly detergent and a extremely good cleaner of oil sludge out of your engine. for grins this summer I decided to try the seafoam in my 99 with 143,000 and I did not get any sludge of any kind when I drained it thru a super fine screen. I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil since the bike had second oil change at 5000 miles. :D :D

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Maybe. But when did synthetic oil become popular? I would assume a 1980 Goldwing was not a candidate for the "new oil" from day one.
I know the P.O. He was not one would go to so much trouble as to do the synthetic oil deal. As in - drive it and add gas , Check the oil once in awhile and drive along carefree and not worry about it. Regards, Johnny

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:44 pm

I would agree with you on the lack of synthetic in the 1980. Synthetic oils came in to play in the mid 90's but not until after 2000 were they improved enough to catch on with the public. With that said if the po used synthetic oil for a couple of oil changes would clear out the goop. I am not saying changing to synthetic will solve your smoke problem, because that is a different issue. I was only commenting on possible reasons for such a clean engine for its age. :D :D

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:44 am

Makes sense. I have no smoke problem, as I fixed that twice now over a period of 5 years :roll: . The usual head gasket deal, first the right then then the left. I am getting to the point were I can change a head gasket and read a book at the same time :lol: . Regards, Johnny

kdurfee

Postby kdurfee » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:27 pm

I use Delo and change about every 2000 miles. I thought that synthetics are too slick and negatively effects the clutch. I do use Castro Syntec in my 1.8 turbo VW and I have 208,000 miles on it with very few engine problems.

As for the head gasket change - hardest part of the job was pulling the heads off the engine. I followed the advice of another forum member, and put parachute cord through the water holes that are beneath each spark plug. I then braced the bike by the handle bars with some tie down chords to the sides of my shop, and then I tied the cord to each side of the shop and twisted the cord with a stick to pull the head from the engine. When I had sufficient pull, I whacked the head with a rubber mallet. I left the bolts on (loosely) so the head wouldn't fall off. Clement recommends using the compression from starting the engine to push the heads off. I couldn't understand his methods, but now that I've had the heads apart I believe that would work, as long as you loosen the valve lifters. Sorry, I'm realizing I'm not very good at technical writing.

I also agree with Johnyy Smoke. I lapped the valves, and it really made a difference at start up.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”