Parts Compatibility?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FallenHeavens
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Parts Compatibility?

Postby FallenHeavens » Fri May 09, 2014 2:53 am

So with my current project of getting new parts for my GL1100 and redoing the aesthetics of the bike I'm curious about something: are there only certain parts [such as lights] that are specific to certain manufacturers, or are they pretty universal? I'd think that they would be pretty much universal across the board, but I know that some manufacturers like to have very specific control over what can be done to their products.

What I'm looking at right now is replacing the headlight, tail light, and turn signals, but I don't want to buy something and just have it be completely useless to me. It may only be about $30 that I lose, but that's still $30 I'd rather have go towards something I can use for sure. The one item I'm looking at in particular is a tail light from a Harley-Davidson Sportster. It's a simple design, relatively small, looks good, and it will fit perfectly on the rear fender; but will it work properly on a 1983 Honda GL1100? [this could be way more simple than I'm imagining it but I just want to be completely sure so I'm not wasting money]

lacanars
Motorcycle: Current: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
Previous:
1981 Honda CM400C
1978 Yamaha XS400

Re: Parts Compatibility?

Postby lacanars » Fri May 09, 2014 7:05 am

A 12 volt light is a 12 volt light, as long as you have a way to mount it such as a bracket or drill new holes and bolt it in, it will work. Things to remember with the turn signal is that if you go to LED make sure you replace the flasher with a true electronic flasher, the other ones won't make it flash properly. I have changed all my bulbs to LED and have several additional lights that were on the bike when I got it. Just had to change the bulbs to an LED version of the same type bulb put in the new flasher and it all worked great. This site is a great resource as you work on your bike, and if you run into something you can't find information on, ask and everyone is more than happy to help. I know I would have been lost on several things if it were not for this site and the great people that are here.

FallenHeavens
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby FallenHeavens » Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Yeah it is a 12V headlight, so I'm good on that. Thanks a bunch, I'll keep that in mind when looking for other replacement parts.

So far I've had a really good experience, and I'm glad I found this site considering the fact that I found it the day before I bought my GL1100. I'm definitely shocked at how few members it seems [or maybe I'm just not seeing them] that are trying to do anything custom to their bike. Seems like everyone here is completely satisfied with them being stock, or just trying to make them run a little better than stock. Different goals I guess.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 pm

FallenHeavens wrote:So far I've had a really good experience, and I'm glad I found this site considering the fact that I found it the day before I bought my GL1100. I'm definitely shocked at how few members it seems [or maybe I'm just not seeing them] that are trying to do anything custom to their bike. Seems like everyone here is completely satisfied with them being stock, or just trying to make them run a little better than stock. Different goals I guess.

Have a look at these:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”