Turn Signal Woes (83 GL1100A)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Turn Signal Woes (83 GL1100A)

Postby DaveDanger » Fri May 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Good Afternoon Wingers,
I have another odd problem (My bike seems to abound with abnormal stuff). My turn signals do not work when I first crank up and begin to ride. What I noticed early on is that they do begin to function at some random point after I've begun riding. At first I thought maybe some vibration was getting to the fairing and causing a bad connection to finally make contact (I have had electrical problems with radio memory, clock/radio display, etc), so a weak connection would not have surprised me at all.
What finally seems to have penetrated my head is that the mechanical turn signal flasher seems to need about 5 to 10 minutes of current flowing to warm it up (What I do now is to lock the turn signal slider into one direction or the other and leave it there until it starts to work). Once it reaches that point, it works until the end of the ride, and for the remainder of the day if it doesn't sit too long. The problem reasserts itself the next morning without fail. I stopped into my local Honda Dealer back in November and order and received a replacement flasher ($8.99), which sat untouched in its box inside the tail trunk until yesterday, at which point I finally had enough time to pull the false tank and get in there and replace the flasher.
Obviously, the tiny little two terminal flasher (Looked exactly like a standard automotive flasher, two terminals mounted at 90 degrees to one another) I received from the dealer was incorrect when I had the old one out in my hands... a much longer, 3 terminal unit labeled "Mitsuba FR3111". Amazingly enough, the dealer allowed me to return the new, uninstalled flasher purchased 6 months ago, and has ordered what is supposedly the correct one ($48.52) WOW!
The Mitsuba P/N stamped on the end of my old one has no seeming correlation to the number in their parts manual, so I'm not sure what I may get the second time around.
Just for my own information, has anyone else had any difficulties with this flasher, and are there any interchangeable units available, or even a non-standard unit that could benefit from a little creative wiring adapting?

Any assistance and info appreciated:)

DD

A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

lacanars
Motorcycle: Current: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
Previous:
1981 Honda CM400C
1978 Yamaha XS400

Re: Turn Signal Woes (83 GL1100A)

Postby lacanars » Fri May 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Cancel that order, go to Napa or any automotive store and get an electronic flasher. Any generic flasher will work, just make sure it is a true electronic. You will then have the ability to upgrade your lights to LED without issues. I think if you search the sight for LED lights there is a place where Wingman even gives the Napa part number for a less than $15 electronic flasher. No need for a $48 flasher to do the same job a generic one can do. Just make sure it has the 3 prongs as it needs a ground.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Turn Signal Woes (83 GL1100A)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Yup, any decent electronic flasher will do - and yes, you'll need to provide a ground if it has three terminals (and it should have three if it's electronic). There is actually an unused ground terminal on the end of a wire hanging around near the flasher that can be used for this purpose. I suspect that's what it was meant for originally.

I'm very sure your problem is a bad flasher, as the original mechanical units rely on heat generated by a bimetallic strip inside in order to function.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”