82 gl1100 interstate rear brake

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
carl langendorf
Motorcycle: 82 gl1100 interstate

82 gl1100 interstate rear brake

Postby carl langendorf » Fri May 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi, everyone...I know it's been awhile since I have posted and I hope everyone is doing fine. I have had alot going on in the past few months, ( my wife n I had twin daughters) anyway here is the thing....I rebuilt and cleaned carbs over the winter and got my 'wing running good with the help of this forum but I have a new problem and I am at a loss...the rear brake was dragging, so I cleaned up the caliper (took apart and cleaned) and replaced the line it worked better but was still sticking a little bit so I bought a K&N rebuild kit for the rear master, I cleaned that up and rebuilt it and now I cant get it to bleed for the life of me, fluid is getting from the res to the master but it isnt leaving the master so I have no back brake and while I could ride it without the rear, that bike is to heavy to do that and still be safe, especially since I ride alot. I have even tried to back bleed it and get nothing any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end and ready to ride it into a wall I'm so annoyed. :twisted:

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 82 gl1100 interstate rear brake

Postby RBGERSON » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 pm

There are two holes in the base of the master both have to be completely cleaned out.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

carl langendorf

Postby carl langendorf » Sat May 10, 2014 4:21 am

update: I pulled the master back off and took it apart yet again, I finally got the plastic piece off that covers those two little ports, both ports were very blocked up with gunk, after half a can of brake clean and a guitar string the first port opened up and got clean however the second port I can't get the guitar string into, seems like the string goes it a tiny bit then stops, feels like it bottoms out, anyway I had bought a donor bike last year and remembered that there was a back brake set up on it, problem was it was an 80 with a single piston caliper whereas I have the dual piston set up, anyway I didn't think it would work with how nasty the thing looked but I tore it apart and swapped out the rebuild kit since everything was a perfect match and again I tried to clean those tiny little ports and wasn't very successful with the back one however after priming it with fluid once I put it back on the bike I was able to get it to bleed somewhat using the pump and hold, open the bleed screw method (that takes a long time) now I have somewhat of a pedal, I know there is still air in it and the next thing I was wondering was if it was possible to back bleed it, I have an oil can I put a hose on and can put it on the bleed screw and pump fluid through but would this work to get rid of the rest of the air? pedal ain't real bad and stops the spinning tire but there is room for improvement and a better pedal? pedal is still "soft" but I'm getting air out of it every time I pump it and hold and then open the bleeder. (actually a friend of mine pumps it and holds while I open the screw. The caliper works as it should now, it grabs and then lets go when I let the pedal go. :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 12, 2014 12:23 pm

If you're still getting air with each stroke, you just have to keep bleeding it. Assuming the master isn't defective and isn't sucking air in from the reservoir, it will eventually stop bleeding air bubbles.

You might try putting a heavy weight on the pedal to depress it, and leave it sitting like that for the night. That will often allow air bubbles to migrate up to the master cylinder and eventually to the reservoir.

carl langendorf

Postby carl langendorf » Thu May 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Update: After rebuilding and then taking apart rear master several times, I finally found and used an old one I had, I rebuilt that and then I looked up on this forum how to rebuild/bleed back master and with a little bit of patience I had left I got it to bleed, now just need to adjust the pedal and it's good to go, I have ridden it but the pedal goes down a little farther then I would like it to, I have already adjusted it once but need to do it again, I figure a little at a time is better then to much the first time. THANK YOU for an awesome site and the help everyone gives!!! :P

plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Sun May 18, 2014 6:19 pm

A little known fact is that sometimes air resides in the banjo bolt loosen the bolt and bleed just like the caliper. Found that to help alot before. Good Luck

gexxie
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. (Imported to UK from USA)

Postby gexxie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:26 am

I love this site..... After two days trying to bleed the rear on my 82 gl1100 with no luck I read here about bleeding at the banjo joint on my new braided hose. I did that, and it was at the master cylinder end! Did that, the bled from the calliper and loads of bubbles come out. Then the brake starts to work. Happy days... Thanks

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”