runnning without the air filter box top cover

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

runnning without the air filter box top cover

Postby 82aspen » Fri May 16, 2014 8:58 pm

looks to me like an easy way to get way more airflow? didn't find any info on it

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: runnning without the air filter box top cover

Postby Oldbear » Fri May 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Where would your air compressor sit?
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

82aspen

Postby 82aspen » Sat May 17, 2014 3:30 am

same location right now, on top of the air filter, though i'm looking at relocating to the fairing, or removing it,

wanna have easy access to stuff under the false tank and eventually switching to a kawi tank

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:47 am

Maybe.
At full throttle, at maximum revs, and only if the airbox actually is a restriction.

Most of my riding, the partially closed throttle plate is the largest restriction by far.

Certainly, it'll make more noise.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

82aspen

Postby 82aspen » Sat May 17, 2014 9:03 pm

gonna try it out, see what happens and report

here's the idea with some related info

Air Intake Silencer Delete ford 5.4
http://www.google.com/search?q=Air%20In ... ford%205.4

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun May 18, 2014 7:43 am

If you like intake noise have at her.Any percieved performance increase will be all in your head.Kinda like flipping your breather lid over on your old 70's quadrabog carbs,sounded like it was actually doing something,but really wasn't.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:If you like intake noise have at her.Any percieved performance increase will be all in your head.Kinda like flipping your breather lid over on your old 70's quadrabog carbs,sounded like it was actually doing something,but really wasn't.

Thats my thought too.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

82aspen

Postby 82aspen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:56 am

i'm always plugged in (earphones) and can't say i'm aware of any intake noise ether way,

i did end up cutting off most of the end tips of the stock mufflers cos they were rusted out and i think i now have a slight burbble sound that wasn't there before

i was gonna run the setup a bit and monitor the plugs, maybe get to mileage checks etc then this timely post titled

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22405

Water getting past air filter cover

showed up

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby lake_harley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:09 am

My question is somewhat related, I think. A couple weeks ago I was in the Denver area and did a day ride up to Fairplay, across Kenosha Pass (10,000 Ft.) My GL1100I did OK, although I did drop to 4th on the last 4 mile stretch to the summit.

I had read somewhere about removing the air cleaner element to reduce intake restriction, and theoretically lessen the "richening" of the fuel mix at high elevations. My 1100, to me, sounded like it was a bit rich, and I'd say it almost had to be at that elevation. Normally, I would never run my bike without an air cleaner, but wondered if the "trick" actually had any real-life merit? Anyone ever try that and care to report the results?

Lynn

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 am

lake_harley wrote:My question is somewhat related, I think. A couple weeks ago I was in the Denver area and did a day ride up to Fairplay, across Kenosha Pass (10,000 Ft.) My GL1100I did OK, although I did drop to 4th on the last 4 mile stretch to the summit.

I had read somewhere about removing the air cleaner element to reduce intake restriction, and theoretically lessen the "richening" of the fuel mix at high elevations. My 1100, to me, sounded like it was a bit rich, and I'd say it almost had to be at that elevation. Normally, I would never run my bike without an air cleaner, but wondered if the "trick" actually had any real-life merit? Anyone ever try that and care to report the results?

Lynn

You can try using a less restrictive filter like a K&N, but just remember that a less restrictive filter means more particulate getting into your engine. I would not run without a filter. If you were living at a high altitude and riding there all the time, I'd recommend just re-jetting the carbs to adjust for it. For an occasional trip, I wouldn't bother. You might want to read this thread: High Altitude W/O Air Filter

lake_harley
Motorcycle: GL1100

Postby lake_harley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reply and the link, WingAdmin! Food for thought regarding potential future trips to the mountains. I don't have any immediate trip plans, but I'd like to go out to the Rockies 2-up with my wife. I don't know when that could happen, but considering the hassle, pulling and re-jetting carbs for a single trip just isn't in the cards....I'm WAY too lazy :lol:

Trying a K&N filter seems the best approach and might even help my fuel mileage here in the midwest, where I live and ride the most. If it seemed lean here, it would be easy enough to pop the paper filter element back in.

Thanks!

Lynn

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”