GL1100 cam timing after belt change

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rscapri2600

GL1100 cam timing after belt change

Postby rscapri2600 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 pm

I just purchased an 1982 Aspencade and am changing the timing belts just in case. It was just in time because one of the belts was missing 8 sequential teeth! Anyways, I suspect the belts were original (Honda) and I installed the new belts exactly the same position as the old one. I am checking the cam timing and noticed that there are two marks on the throttle side cam sprocket. There is the straight line shaped indentation mark and there is a raised squarish mark The other sprocket does not have this straight line indentation.

Was there a special California cam timing which reduced emissions? If I just followed the manual I wouldn't have used this mark. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking to change the throttle side timing (1 tooth different) to match the mark which is used on the other cam sprocket.

Thanks - Joe

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100 cam timing after belt change

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:27 pm

The timing should be exactly the same on both sides - there is no emissions or other differences for the two. I know a member on another site thought the same thing, and ended up trashing the valves and head on one side of his engine.

With the T1 mark set, both cam sprockets should be showing the exact same mark on both sides, with the "UP" showing up.

When you've got it together, remove all four spark plugs, then turn the engine over by hand (put a wrench on the back of the engine, don't use the starter) at least TWO full revolutions, and if you feel any resistance, STOP.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”