head gasket??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

head gasket??

Postby 4wred » Tue May 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi guys,
New to the forum,I think I have a head gasket going bad.I just bought the bike,it had been sitting for 2 years.Drained the bad gas out
of the tank and carb bowls,changed fuel filter,put in new battery after a little cranking it fired up.Also took out the plugs put a little wd40 in the holes before firing.Cranked real nice and fast ,no seized rings.Smoked alot at first then cleared up.after it got a little warm started smoking out the right bank.I'm thinking head gasket,doesn't smell alot like antifreeze or oil either.I ran it 4 or 5 times letting it get up to temp each time and cool down.It's not overheating,fan comes on when it's suppose to.It got better each time I ran it taking longer to start smoking.Didn't change the oil yet it looked pretty clean.Antifreeze was nice green color,recovery bottle was empty so I filled it up to the full mark.What do you guy's think?? BTW its a 82

4wred
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Re: head gasket??

Postby 4wred » Thu May 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Update:
After some closer inspection its definetly oil smoke.Did compression test cylinder (1- 135psi) ( 3-150psi) (2-150psi) (4-145psi).Spark plugs on #1 and #4 have some oil on them.Still want to do leak down test. I'm leaning towards valve seals,the bike sat for about 2 years on it's sidestand.I've had it on the centerstand since I came home and put in my garage.What do you guy's think? Has 38,000 miles on the clock,hope thats the correct mileage.

4wred
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Fri May 23, 2014 5:57 am

4wred wrote:Update:
After some closer inspection its definetly oil smoke.Did compression test cylinder (1- 135psi) ( 3-150psi) (2-150psi) (4-145psi).Spark plugs on #1 and #4 have some oil on them.Still want to do leak down test. I'm leaning towards valve seals,the bike sat for about 2 years on it's sidestand.I've had it on the centerstand since I came home and put in my garage.What do you guy's think? Has 38,000 miles on the clock,hope thats the correct mileage.
Also forgot could it be stuck-frozen oil rings??

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri May 23, 2014 8:04 am

Personally,if it were mine,I'd run it around for a hundred miles before I tore it apart.
Setting on the side stand for 2 years....oil may have soaked the pistons,heads and into the headersand exhaust.If so,it will take time to clear it out.
If there is oil in the exhaust,it wouldn't smoke till the exhaust gets hot.
Been there,proved that.
My 80...I dropped the exhaust at the header and slipped on a temporary set of Harley mufflers.The smoke never returned.
The compression is a bit off.Ideal is less than 5psi difference.Again..it did set up for a few years.Bikes don't like that at all.
Bad valve guide seals usually show smoke whe first starting or heavy deceleration.
My first advice...replace the timing belts,general service the engine,tag it,run it like a bike,don't baby it.
If it doesn't settle into a great bike after a reasonable time,then dig into it.

4wred
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Sat May 24, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks for the reply.Sounds like a plan.I wouldn't like it either if someone ignored me for 2 years!!

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

The cylinder head valve oil seals can be changed without removing the cylinder head. There is a thread on this website telling you how to do it. I have done it several times and the only cash outlay was fro BOTH seals and the special valve spring compressor. Much cheaper than a strip down

4wred
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:12 am

Update:
Between my work sch. and all the work this bike needed to get it road worthy again,here are the results.
After doing normal maint. items the bike is doing pretty good.Changed the timing belts,new brakes,rear caliper rebuild(sticking piston in caliper)New front master cylinder,still have a little air trapped in front brakes mushy lever.I think old rubber hoses shot,gonna put new stainless lines on over the winter.Carb floats were sticking at first,tapped on them for the first couple times i rode it and they eventually freed up.Have put about 500 miles on it and gets better every time I ride! The issues I had with it smoking cleared up pretty good after cleaning out the crankcase with seafoam and oil for couple hundred miles and then changed to regular oil.First couple tanks of gas I ran atf in with the gas but now I just put a dose of seafoam in this tank,minor stumbling pulling out under low throttle.I have synced the carbs,adjusted the valves after I put the new belts on and installed new plugs.I think there may be a carb rebuild in my future.The bike runs like a raped ape when I tear into it no issues there.Also I found out the bike had been sitting for about 4 years not the 2 years I thought,4 year old inspection sticker.Gotta get used to riding this thing in the wind,I had a naked wing (82) ten years ago and don't remember getting blown around like this fairing bike does(little scary sometimes).
When I bought the bike the right muffler had some bluing and yellow discoloring on it.I suspect carb issues(running lean).When I got the bike and a box full of parts there were carb rebuild parts in the box i think the P.O. tried some carb work.Overall I'm happy with the bike just have a few minor issues to deal with.This forum has helped me alot with the wealth of info.Thanks to all who have helped!! I'm adding a pic of the muffler.
Attachments

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 am

RIde the heck out of it... change the oil regularly, keep the filters clean, dump some fuel cleaner in the tank every once in a while and I bet she runs better and better with every tank of gas...

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”