Stator? 1983 Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
micbery
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing GL 1100A Aspencade

Stator? 1983 Goldwing

Postby micbery » Tue May 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello All

I would like to ask for your advice, possibly someone has experienced this.

The bike fires up without any effort, runs smoothly. This am was no different, until I put it in gear to leave. The voltage meter dropped to zero and it seemed one possibly two cylinders stopped firing. A lot of sputtering went on for a few minutes then it seemed it was one cylinder that was struggling while the voltage meter gradually increased to 10. Within a half mile of puttering the voltage meter reached it usual position the cylinder cleared itself and everything was normal. Rode all morning didn't have a problem. Stopped for lunch, went to leave same thing happened. And again it cleared itself the same way. Got the bike home, now uncertain to take it out again for fear of a break down.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Stator? 1983 Goldwing

Postby bustedwing » Wed May 21, 2014 7:59 am

Unless you have bad connections, I have never seen a charging system stop working then start working again. If you start with a battery fully charged then load test first the battery, then the charging system at different rpms and different temps. If there is a problem it will show up during this test.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 21, 2014 9:22 am

This is an odd one. The symptoms you describe, where cylinders aren't firing correctly, and it is sputtering, is exactly how GL1100's respond to low voltage, so I have no doubt that your voltmeter is correctly indicating low voltage.

The fact that it spins up and starts fine says the battery is in good shape. There's nothing electrical on the GL1100 that is engaged only when in gear, so it's not like there could be a sudden electrical load when you shift out of neutral (unless it's aftermarket - added by you or a previous owner). So I'm left to thinking it is mechanical. Perhaps the sudden jerk of shifting into gear is knocking something loose? My guess then would be that something internal to the battery has or is failing. I have heard of a battery in a GL1200 that developed a crack internally, and the owner would lose all power when going over a bump.

When it sputters and voltage falls, if you pull in the clutch and open the throttle, to rev it up (say 4500 or 5000 rpm) does the voltage come right back up and sputtering stop? Or does it continue to sputter with low voltage?

This one's a bit of a head-scratcher.

micbery

Postby micbery » Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am

There is nothing aftermarket turned on when put in gear as well It made no difference with the clutch in, cylinder missing would continue.

Just fired it up now and same problem, there is lots of juice in battery as she turns over real quick, headlight, radio everything works, but voltage meter reads zero and one cylinder for sure is missing. Seems little to no spark going to it. At an idle 1000rpm it sounds fine, like it should, giving it fuel cylinder begins missing. After a while at idle the voltage meter began to increase, sitting around 10 then a short while later it found itself, problem gone?

Would a stator problem act like this? Or possibly a coil? As it seems its the same cylinder that misses. The battery is fairly new

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 am

I'd first start at the source of power,the start solenoid.Unplug the 4 wire plug on the start solenoid.Inspect for any corrosion.Then proceed to replace the dog bone fuse.They do fracture.
A slow moving OEM volt meter is not unusual.Test volts directly across the battery posts.
Also look very close to the left of the battery,there's 2 more plugs.The 4 wire plug is for the ignition pulse coils and the 3 wire plug is the stator wires.Same thing.Absolutly clean

micbery

Postby micbery » Sun May 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Thank you for your insights, suggestions they saved the day!

I had spent most the weekend tearing the bike down layer by layer, in search of an ailment. And damned if I could find a cure. It wasn't till the late hours of saturday evening that the culprit showed itself to me.

With the bike in pieces, and hours of time I will never get back, I was on the edge of defeat, ready to give up and to exhausted to care. Aimlessly I turned the ignition on one final time and pushed start. And to my surprise, I saw through the dark of the night a flash come from behind the battery case. I shut the bike down instantly pulled the battery out of its case.

With the battery removed I used booster cables to supply the power and I flashed the bike up one more time. This time the arc was obvious, the problem was electrical and the culprit came from a wire coming off the starter Solenoid. The wire's jacket had bared itself, allowing it to arc on the back side of battery case!

It was only because it was dark that this tiny arc was visible. Go- Figure.

I used a shrink wrap as a cure and re routed those wires, never to happen again. I fired the bike up and, problem gone. The bike purred like it was suppose to. And a big smile came across my face.

I put the bike back together Sunday morning, went for a long ride and it felt real good. My bike was back! And it didn't even matter that it rained on me the entire time.

Thank you for this website, its the best

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon May 26, 2014 10:14 am

I know exactly what you are talking about, and thanks for your insight on repairing your ride. The only thing that you could have done better is taken pictures of the culprit and post them along with your repair steps, it could help another member that runs into the same problem. But glad you took the time to dig into your ride, now you know more about it.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”