new guy

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda goldwing aspencade

new guy

Postby mcmotorsports58 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Ok new to this forum. I have owned my honda v65 magna for three years. I now have the opportunity to buy a goldwing and would like some info on them. The bike i want to buy is a 1982 honda goldwing aspencade. How available are parts? The bike has sat for two years what do I need to look for issue wise? And what is a good price for one in decent Condition

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: new guy

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu May 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada
IMHO the 1100 is last Wing built that still looks like a bike.I had an 83 and really like it,but I haven't had much to do with them for a while so I'll let some of the others chime in with the parts availability issue.

As far as what you could get into wouldn't be any different than any other older bike other than timing belts and maybe the stator.If the stator is gone you'll need to pull the motor to replace it or you can go the Poorboy alt mod.You could be looking a carb rebuilds,timing belts,tires,brakes etc...Like I said other than the belts they're not much different than any other bike that's sat for a while.Prices change from area to area so that would be hard to guess at as well. Good luck with the hunt.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat May 24, 2014 7:07 am

Parts are readily available for your wing.
Check compression first off! Hopefully all four cylinders are within 5 lbs or so of each other. Some smoke at start up is normal- as long as it goes away. Of course if it runs you can listen to the motor and check for leaks, it might leak anti freeze around the crossover pipes (they go into the head) the O-rings tend to go to crap after sitting for a spell. We like pics :D Regards, Johnyy

Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sat May 24, 2014 7:34 am

Parts are easy enough to find and worse case scenario is to find a donor bike. For the money its a great deal. Insurance may be troublesome if you are a youngster given the engine size. Expect to spend as much again or more on getting a 30 year old up to reliability standards.

After that it is a breeze and will keep up with anyone, except in the "new is better" sweepstakes. No GPS, etc.

The 80 - 83 differ only slghtly and having resurrected a running 81 I would encourage it.

Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Postby rockford75 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Hello welcome to the Forum,

I paid $ 4000 dollars for my 82 wing about 5 yrs ago but its in mint condition. ive seen them go for $2000 and up depending on the bike and area you live. As for parts easy never had a issue finding parts stick with this forum it has lots of great info. Lots of Honda numbers cross reference with NAPA parts stores as well as many others. One thing about the old wing iam finding is you can make it how you want it. Theres tons of sites out there that sell after market parts from A-Z. Hope this helps in your choice.

A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”