!@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
rockford75
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am
Location: EDMONTON Alberta,Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

!@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby rockford75 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:12 pm



Hello Guys,

This is for anyone out there changing there timing belts on there Goldwing. My God!! what a tough job!! I followed DIY Articles looks great on paper but man when your doing the job it aint easy. So make sure you take your time doing the job and read the manual at least 5 times to get familiar with what your doing. I just found it hard changing the belts in general the first one on the left side( The Left as you sitting on the bike) was not bad at all. But the right side( Right as you are sitting on the bike) was tough holding the flywheel in place with vice grips or c -clamp was fine. but everytime i try putting the belt on the flywheel the crank kept moving off T-1 The T-74 were so tight I thought i had the wrong belts for my 82 wing. but no once you get them on its the right belt. Tough job but man!!! Am I proud!!! I can do this!!! I can fix my wing I can make it the way i want it!!! To all the other guys working on there bikes. Remember Quitters never quit and quitters never win!!


A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

Patriccio
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby Patriccio » Mon May 26, 2014 9:52 pm

When I did my belts, I used a box wrench on the nut on the R side, then I tied some 14 gauge wire around it & around the down tube of the bike. The wire twist was at the wrench so that when I tightened the wire w/ a pair of dykes, the wire tightened & the wrench moved the cog so the timing marks align perfectly. Of course, it took me several times to get it right, but the R side likes to roll up because there's tension behind it. Some guys use a tie wrap on the wrench to secure the wrench. Let's see if I can post a pic.

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Wow, those timing belts can be very difficult for some.....Glad you got it... :D

User avatar
Overdog
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby Overdog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:25 pm

I read-up on the procedure on 3 or 4 different forums and also read my manual...I was READY to tackle the job!!! The biggest problem I had was that, in a fit of epic stupidity, I managed to order belts for a 1200 instead of 1100 and lost almost a week getting them exchanged etc. I used the box wrench/zip-tie method and it worked great. Also changed the radiator hose while i was at it.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Overdog wrote:I read-up on the procedure on 3 or 4 different forums and also read my manual...I was READY to tackle the job!!! The biggest problem I had was that, in a fit of epic stupidity, I managed to order belts for a 1200 instead of 1100 and lost almost a week getting them exchanged etc. I used the box wrench/zip-tie method and it worked great. Also changed the radiator hose while i was at it.


No need to have waited - the local NAPA store normally keeps them in stock.

User avatar
Overdog
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby Overdog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:45 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Overdog wrote:I read-up on the procedure on 3 or 4 different forums and also read my manual...I was READY to tackle the job!!! The biggest problem I had was that, in a fit of epic stupidity, I managed to order belts for a 1200 instead of 1100 and lost almost a week getting them exchanged etc. I used the box wrench/zip-tie method and it worked great. Also changed the radiator hose while i was at it.


No need to have waited - the local NAPA store normally keeps them in stock.


NAPA had the new belts for me by the end of the workday on Monday. I don't have a garage & have to work on the bike outside....it was pouring down rain Monday when i got home. I didn't get home until after dark the entire rest of the week. I started on the bike Saturday morning and worked on it pretty much the whole day, doing a lot of cleaning after I got the belts and hoses on.

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:08 am

I just purchased a new battery from NAPA auto parts for my Goldwing, I get my belts there as well... :D

User avatar
rockford75
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am
Location: EDMONTON Alberta,Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby rockford75 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 am

littlebeaver wrote:I just purchased a new battery from NAPA auto parts for my Goldwing, I get my belts there as well... :D



I picked up a battery from NAPA too. Lot better priced then Honda. Amazingly enough they have lots of parts there that fit the Old Wings.
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

User avatar
littlebeaver
Posts: 4420
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:30 am

Yeah, I hate putting in the Acid,, oh, I hate that,, it's so hard to see the level of the liquid, I mean, I was watching the back side of the box to watch the level go up, I used a plastic soda straw to extend the length of that little bitty red hose they give you, that acid scares me...I was afraid I would over fill it or under fill it ...I got it done..... and It took all the fluid in the bottle..

User avatar
rockford75
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am
Location: EDMONTON Alberta,Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby rockford75 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:01 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Yeah, I hate putting in the Acid,, oh, I hate that,, it's so hard to see the level of the liquid, I mean, I was watching the back side of the box to watch the level go up, I used a plastic soda straw to extend the length of that little bitty red hose they give you, that acid scares me...I was afraid I would over fill it or under fill it ...I got it done..... and It took all the fluid in the bottle..


Yes putting the acid in kinda sucks. Thats why I bought a maintenance free battery from NAPA its all Id use. Checking the fluid level all the time is a pain.
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

User avatar
alastair.kj
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:17 am

I just changed my timing belts for my first time as well! Did the rad hoses, rad cap and spark plugs while I was at it. Was so proud of myself

..Dang thing won't start properly now.. has me worried.

User avatar
rockford75
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am
Location: EDMONTON Alberta,Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby rockford75 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:07 pm

alastair.kj wrote:I just changed my timing belts for my first time as well! Did the rad hoses, rad cap and spark plugs while I was at it. Was so proud of myself

..Dang thing won't start properly now.. has me worried.
Thats great man!!! Its a great feeling working on your bike and learning about what makes it work.
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

User avatar
alastair.kj
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:55 pm

It is a great feeling, however when you run into mysterious issues it can be pretty disheartening. It's a good thing we have all these knowledgeable people at GodwingDocs to help. I'd be lost otherwise.

User avatar
rockford75
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:16 am
Location: EDMONTON Alberta,Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby rockford75 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:00 pm

alastair.kj wrote:It is a great feeling, however when you run into mysterious issues it can be pretty disheartening. It's a good thing we have all these knowledgeable people at GodwingDocs to help. I'd be lost otherwise.
Yes!!! But its all part of the fun! This forum is great!! If you need info its all here!!
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

User avatar
urbanmadness
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:31 pm
Location: Sacramento, California
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:45 pm

did you get her running?

User avatar
alastair.kj
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I haven't got er running yet. I'm going to check and see if the belts are off a tooth and/or check compression and see if that tells me anything. These steps were suggested by some kind folks of GoldwingDocs: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22448&p=124071#p124071

User avatar
alastair.kj
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:33 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby alastair.kj » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 am

Got it running last night! Took redoing the timing belts as I was off by one tooth. It wouldn't start after that and it turns out I'd done something dumb.. I had removed the intake plug screws to remove some chrome and hadn't replaced them, thinking that they weren't necessary. Put those back it and it started right up, sounding good and everything.
The funs not over though, I still have to replace the radiator (and a rubber gasket that I damaged) and then do some electrical work for my first time.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: !@#$%^&*!!! Timing Belts!

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 am

alastair.kj wrote:Got it running last night! Took redoing the timing belts as I was off by one tooth. It wouldn't start after that and it turns out I'd done something dumb.. I had removed the intake plug screws to remove some chrome and hadn't replaced them, thinking that they weren't necessary. Put those back it and it started right up, sounding good and everything.
The funs not over though, I still have to replace the radiator (and a rubber gasket that I damaged) and then do some electrical work for my first time.


Oh yeah, that will definitely do it. With those intake plug screws out, it runs extremely lean, enough that it will usually quit altogether if you haven't got the throttle almost wide open.




Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cardinal and 1 guest