gas leak

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
fishingrod
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100

gas leak

Postby fishingrod » Fri May 30, 2014 11:18 am

Have 81 gl11oo, I have gas leaking from the bottom float bowls on both left side carbs. What can I do to stop this other than a carb rebuild. Right sides don't leak, my guess is that the float valves are stuck open due to bad gas left in tank over the winter. I knew that when I bought bike and thought it would be a 3 to 4 hundred dollar rebuild so I talked him into selling for 200 less, now I can't find anyone to do it for less that 700. I 'm probably going to have to bite the bullet for 700 but hopefully this forum can give me a better idea. Its worth a shot. Thanks

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: gas leak

Postby RBGERSON » Fri May 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Stuck floats can be cleaned..pivot, seat or the needle itself..for a lot less than $700
One of the best re builders is Pistol Pete..$400 I think.

But I'd remove them have to anyway for a rebuild..and remove the float needle seats clean them up replace them and bench test..fairly easy..Or buy new needles and seats $20 each from Honda and just put them in..very easy..then check for float levels and that's it.

leave the carbs attached to the plenum and don't remove any of the jets if you are sure the only issue is the needles not sealing..and else thing else should be OK as you won't disturb anything else..sometimes fixing stuff causes other issues....

read here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12168
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri May 30, 2014 5:53 pm

Thought I'd add he rebuilds them with Randakk's kit and tests them on his test engine..when you get them it's just install and ride.

Good info here http://www.oldwings.com/services.html
prices are up a bit
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

fishingrod
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100

Postby fishingrod » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 am

Thank you rbgerson for your reply, it was very helpful. Removed the carbs and found that the float bowl drain plugs on both left carbs where broken off so found some new used ones and than went through all float bowls and found needle valve on carb 3 was full of crap so I cleaned it and reinstalled, problem solved. Runs good, especially at highway speeds, is a little sluggish at idle and pops a little also at low engine rpm. I haven't put many miles on since cleaning the bowls but the idle has improved since start up with some quality gas and seafoam. Could this be that they are out of sync, if so where can a guy get a good vacuum gauge? Thanks again for your help

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:09 am

fishingrod wrote:Thank you rbgerson for your reply, it was very helpful. Removed the carbs and found that the float bowl drain plugs on both left carbs where broken off so found some new used ones and than went through all float bowls and found needle valve on carb 3 was full of crap so I cleaned it and reinstalled, problem solved. Runs good, especially at highway speeds, is a little sluggish at idle and pops a little also at low engine rpm. I haven't put many miles on since cleaning the bowls but the idle has improved since start up with some quality gas and seafoam. Could this be that they are out of sync, if so where can a guy get a good vacuum gauge? Thanks again for your help

If you want to save a few bucks, you can build your own vacuum gauge out of a couple lengths of vinyl tubing and a board to fasten them to. Have a look at Cheap carb sync tool

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”