Fuel Flow Nightmare

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
80HondaDividson
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Fuel Flow Nightmare

Postby 80HondaDividson » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm hoping I am just missing something here. I have ann '80 "Naked" Goldwing...GL1100. I have just had the tank cleaned, carbs rebuilt and the fuel pump change. When she's cold, she starts right up. You ride here a few mile and she'll stall and you are pushing her back to the house. When she won't start, everything seems to be working fine, battery, starter...but she sounds like she isn't getting gas. Sometimes she will have run for a few seconds but then stalls.

I am working my way through the bike...next is the petcock and fuel filter...I also read here that the gas cap can be an issue. I really liek my bike....when I can ride it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Fuel Flow Nightmare

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:49 am

When it stalls, pop the gas cap and see if you have a vacuum -then see if it starts. If it does, then soak the cap over night in white vinegar and blast it with plenty of compressed air and wd-40. You don't want any vacuum in the tank. Regards, Johnyy

80HondaDividson

Postby 80HondaDividson » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:03 am

The last time it happened I did pop the gas cap, but no vacuum. But there has been in the past, I am going to replace it anyway, because you never know

Grasshutperformance
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby Grasshutperformance » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Look for a kink in the fuel line. It takes a bit of a bend from the pump to the carbs, have seen them kink there and stop fuel flow. Also pull off the hose and be sure the pump is pumping. When it dies and it seems to be out of fuel, pour some in through the air cleaner, just a little, maybe 3 oz's, hold the throttle wide open, and if it is a fuel problem it will start. If it does not I would be looking at ignition.
Tom

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Postby 82aspen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:32 pm

gotta figure out knowns and unknowns then go from there,

you could have a fuel issue, a spark issue or combo of both

when it does partially fire or doesn't, i like to rule out a spark issue on the spot easy with a cheap timing gun

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”