Water getting past air filter cover

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Water getting past air filter cover

Postby mytown » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:45 am

and then potentially into the cylinders as happened to me last spring. At that time I had the bike covered for the winter and for some reason I left the air filter cover loosely fitted to the air box. Water leaked through the motorcycle cover, past the tank shelter and into the tray, drained out of the tray, into the airbox and finally into the cylinders where it caused hydro lock. I took a few pictures the other day and saw what I think was a contributing factor that was not something I did or failed to do. It is the way in which the tray under the shelter drains.

The top picture shows a small accumulation of water from a rain of several days past. No doubt there was more water there just after the rain. The second picture shows the tray. You can see in the corner that water has often settled there. It is also apparent that the tray's drain hole sets directly over the recess in the air box cover. It appears to me that rain gets into the tray and then drains into the recess of the air box cover. If the nut securing the air box cover is loose or the for some other reason that area is not water tight, the water ends up down through the middle of the filter and potentially into the carbs. I hope to eliminate this problem by relocating the drain hole. Just something to keep in mind.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Water getting past air filter cover

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:04 am

I had the same problem.I found that the false cover lid would channel rain right to the split between it and the gas cap cover.from there it would drop on the rear part of the air cleaner cover.
My cover is angled to the front a bit and the water would travel into the 2 air ducts and into the carbs.
Finding no quick resolution,I would park my bike on a uphill angle so the air cleaner box was tilted back.
The next fix was a rain shield that covered the false tank seams.
It was always worse on the center stand on level ground.
If you position your bike this way and use a level on the air box,you'll find it tilts foreward.Perfect position to scoop in rain water.This never happens while driving.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”