Parts and whatnot. Anyone in BC, Canada?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Parts and whatnot. Anyone in BC, Canada?

Postby alastair.kj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:17 am

Hi folks, this is mostly out of curiosity:

Anyone here from the BC area, mainly Vancouver Island (I'm in Victoria)? I'm wondering what Canadians in general find to be the best and least expensive way to get parts for their gl1100's. Order online (what are the best Canadian sites so as to avoid paying duty)? Order through a good local dealer? Know of some magical store that stocks parts for old bikes?

Another parts related question: Are the Napa radiator hoses that are suggested for the gl1100 specific to that bike or are those a generic part that a local Napa store might have in stock?

It gets old having to order things online and then wait a week and a half to get it.

I just changed my timing belts for my first time (thank you GoldwingDocs for all the info I needed) and now I definitely need to replace my radiator hoses. Another question though: is it ok to start my bike for just a couple of minutes with the radiator removed, just to see if I got the belts on right? Also, how do I know if I've installed the belts properly?

I often have so many questions with no one to ask in person and I don't particularly want to write a new post for every one.. sorry for this post being so long!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond. I always appreciate all the information and help that I get from this website. I'd be lost without it.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Parts and whatnot. Anyone in BC, Canada?

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 am

A fairly decent online place that is actually located in Canada (i.e. no duty/UPS "brokerage" fees) is http://partsnmore.com - they have lots of GL1100 parts.

The Napa hose you're talking about, NAPA NBH7733, is actually a generic automotive radiator hose, but it just so happens that when you cut it in half, the curves in each half exactly match the original curves of the OEM upper and lower hoses. You can see the hose and the cutting procedure starting at step 18 in How to replace your radiator hoses.

With no hoses, your bike will have no coolant. The aluminum head will heat up really, really fast. It's your bike, you can start it with no coolant for a few seconds if you like, but I wouldn't do it to mine. Certainly not for a couple of minutes. When I did mine, I just reinstalled the radiator to do my test run.

To test the belts, you want to turn the engine over by hand (with the plugs removed). There is a plug at the back of the engine that can be removed, and a socket can be inserted. This will allow you to rotate the engine slowly by hand. If you feel ANY resistance, STOP - this indicates a piston is contacting a valve, which means something is wrong. However, as long as you've followed the instructions, and all the timing marks are lined up correctly, you shouldn't encounter this problem.

Once you've rotated the engine at least two full turns by hand, you can then reinstall the plugs and start it for the test run-up.

alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby alastair.kj » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:46 am

Wow, thanks for the quick and thorough reply!
In that case, I believe the belts are on just right, tension seems good and everything turns fine.

I did try reinstalling the old hoses and starting it with distilled water in the rad, but there was a leak in the top connection of my lower hose.

When I was trying to start the bike it seemed like it wouldn't quite "catch" and stay running if I didn't keep twisting the throttle. So I just shut er off and figured I'd replace the hoses before trying again.

Might there be another issue that I'm unaware of? Should it have started up fine?

Thanks again for reading!

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:47 am

http://www.siriusconinc.com/
No issues ordering from these guys.

Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”