1980 gl 1100 tail light not working

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DetroitWingnut
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

1980 gl 1100 tail light not working

Postby DetroitWingnut » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:08 am

With the key in the "On" position, the tail light on my 1980 Wing fails to light up. Bulbs and fuses seem fine. Headlight and gauges work. Tail light works in "Park" position. Read a post by WingAdmin from a couple of years ago, he suggested shorting 2 brown wires with white stripes that go to ignition with ignition switch in "On" position. If tail light then works, problem is in the switch itself. Sooo, I need to know how I should go about "shorting" these wires to see if tail light will then work. If the switch turns out to be the problem, what is my next move? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Feeling stoopid but willing to learn how to fix things myself...Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1980 gl 1100 tail light not working

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:08 am

DetroitWingnut wrote:With the key in the "On" position, the tail light on my 1980 Wing fails to light up. Bulbs and fuses seem fine. Headlight and gauges work. Tail light works in "Park" position. Read a post by WingAdmin from a couple of years ago, he suggested shorting 2 brown wires with white stripes that go to ignition with ignition switch in "On" position. If tail light then works, problem is in the switch itself. Sooo, I need to know how I should go about "shorting" these wires to see if tail light will then work. If the switch turns out to be the problem, what is my next move? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Feeling stoopid but willing to learn how to fix things myself...Thanks

First off, is the 5 amp "Tail" fuse blown? You'll know this because when you switch to "ON", you'll get no lights - no dash lights, no front position lights. If you have no dash, position or fuse lights, first thing to check is the "Tail" fuse. If you DO have dash and position lights but no tail light then yes, the next thing to do is to short together the two brown/white wires coming from the ignition switch. If the tail light comes on then when you switch to "ON" then the problem is the ignition switch.

If it STILL doesn't come on when you do this, with the ignition off, try connecting each of those brown/white wires to 12 volts (the red wire, which is always hot). One of those wires should light up the dash and position lights, the other one should light up the tail light. If the position/dash lights light up OK and the tail light does not, then you have a problem where the brown/white wire connects to the brown wire that runs to the taillight.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”