Project: Resurrection from the back of the garage"

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Project: Resurrection from the back of the garage"

Postby N2PPN » Sat May 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Well I have been as busy on my '81 GL as I can be, what with working on a job that is trying to break the all-time record for overtime worked in a two month period. (they are working 7 days a week 12 hours a day)
Since I am not as young as I used to be, I only opt in for 5 days of 12 hours each and "try" to find what little time I can on the weekends for the "project"...

I had a great friend come out and drop off his Handy Lift for the GL, (since he just bought a Boss Hoss and needed a little more room in his garage, I think the lending of the lift was mutually beneficial), I unlocked the brake calipers (which were locked up from years of sitting) and we rolled the old girl out of the garage, rolled the handy lift in, then rolled the bike back onto the lift... Ratchet-tied her front forks down to the table top and placed her front wheel into the wheel vise...

I applied some air from my compressor (which of course had different air-chuck fittings on my hoses than the one's from my friend's Handy lift) and Viola! the bike rose up into the air as if by magic!!!

This ended my first day as we all were supposed to go out for Mother's Day dinner and "she who must be obeyed" shot the "evil eye" in our direction.. So after a quick wash-up and wardrobe change, dinner was served!

The next day I actually got to do something that looked like work on the bike. I removed the carb assembly. This process actually took almost 10 and a half years to complete as they were the reason I had stopped riding the wing back in '99. The engine wouldn't run right, would sputter and complain on hard accelerations and after a long winter, she wouldn't run on anything less than full choke and wouldn't come off idle at all.. I KNEW it was fuel related and was determined to do what was necessary to fix it, but the timing was all wrong. Small kids needed looking after, work needed to be done, and before I knew it another year slipped by and the bike still sat not running.

That next spring (2000) I started to dismantle the bike to do the repairs to the fuel system, I got all the way to getting the carb assembly disconnected and ready to be removed, but lacked the "tips and tricks" to know how to do it... I got disgusted with the whole project as I was almost certain that I now needed to remove the engine (or at least drop it some from the frame as to gain clearance to remove the carb assembly) in order to complete the repairs. I was still confronted with the small children issues and work related stuff, so once again the GL got passed over for her repairs.

Fast forward to a week or two before Mother's Day 2010, I have no more small children issues, I am suffering my mid-life crisis pangs and I have a beautiful piece of machinery sitting in my garage that has become a catch-all and clothes tree. I have once again been bitten by the "Resurrection" bug to get my wing back on the road.. I am working overtime and have the cash to throw at this project, so NOW I am gonna do it!!!

I did LOTS of research on the Internet (that's how I found THIS website) found, downloaded and printed every article I could find on 1981 GL 1100's , bought that ever elusive Honda Factory Manual (I had two of the Clymer ones, with the pages all greasy and dog-eared from my youth working on the bike) ordered up all sorts of parts from Randakk, cycle brakes, and others including a few Ebay auctions.

I sat at my kitchen table on Mother's Day disassembling my freshly removed carb assembly (woo hoo!!) and proceeded to perform my long awaited project. As I dove into the carb rebuild, I started to recapture that almost imperceptible bond I used to have with my wing. I used to pat her lovingly like one would a trusty steed, praising her for a good ride. I would say good night to her as I walked out of the garage shutting off the light. I even would talk to her as I was changing her oil and doing periodic maintenance on her. I know you all must be smiling and chuckling to yourselves, but hey, I KNOW you know what I mean when I tell you about these things. I'll bet that each and everyone of you guys out there have similar experiences with YOUR bikes.

So now it has been almost two weeks since I restarted the "project" and here is where I am:

Carbs are totally cleaned, boiled, rebuilt and reassembled and awaiting re-installation. I want to get new screws for the CV covers as the old ones on carbs 1 & 3 are a little "ratty" and will be prone to stripping if tightened after replacing the assembly back on top of the engine and putting back on the CV covers, springs and pistons. As I was inspecting the top of the engine I noticed the coolant return tube from the right side head would leak antifreeze when any lateral pressure was applied to it such as when you are tightening down the CV cap screws for carb #'s 1 & 3 ... Since I was going to drain down the antifreeze anyway and replace it, I figured that this is as good a time as any to replace the O-rings in the coolant tubing. Turns out that the O-rings are 21.9 MM X 2.3 MM Dia. which is a R-15 sized O-ring... SCORE!! I had an O-ring kit here in the garage, I carefully removed the flange from the head, and replaced all four O-rings effortlessly! (BTW the old O-rings had deteriorated from exposure to outside air and possible gasoline vapors from the carbs, the old ones were all "gummy" on their outer surfaces that were exposed to the air, this caused their deterioration)

Next I figured it was time to do the timing belts, I started to remove the radiator, which was empty since I drained it to do the O-rings earlier. This is where I got frustrated!! I had always worked on my wing on the ground, either in the backyard or on my garage floor or driveway. I never had a problem removing the radiator before! BUT it seems that when you have your bike up on a lift, you can't turn the front wheel to allow for clearance for the fan to move away from the timing covers! UGH! After much cursing and trash-talking, I realized that I COULD reach the three 10MM bolts holding the fan onto the back of the radiator, releasing it from the radiator and allowing the radiator and fan to be removed separately. Radiator out, fan out. Now on to the timing belts....

I removed the timing belt covers, and sat for a while drinking a cup of coffee while trying to decide if I would rotate the engine to it's timing marks, or since it had been sitting for 10 years, attempt to replace the belts in the position the engine was in right now... I opted to determine if there was any tension on the right cam shaft first, since it is the first belt to be removed. If there was ANY tension on the belt from valve springs trying to spin the camshaft, I would perform a routine "by the book" replacement of the belts using all the approved methods and ty-rapped wrenches to prevent camshaft movement.

As I has suspected, there was no tension on the camshafts and the belts went off and on in a breeze. I t was as if my lady was saying to me "I'll hold still while you fix me". Since I had the belts replaced and the tensioners all reset and adjusted, I decided to polish up the aluminum covers and after a while they looked like chrome again! A few more hours of polishing and such, and covers were re-installed looking all shiny and new.

As of tonight I am now looking for new radiator hoses and possibly a new thermostat (since all these things are 1981 vintage it would be wise to change them now, rather that when they fail on what will undoubtedly be one of many rides in the not too distant future. I have all my brake rebuilding stuff at the ready, two master cylinder kits, front and rear, three caliper kits, all new stainless steel hoses for the brake systems, shopping for new tires (any ideas or leads would be appreciated) and will be steam cleaning the gas tank out before re-installing the carbs and firing her up to re-sync the carbs.

I will keep you guys posted on the progress and thanks again to all you guys who have been helpful in many different ways to me in getting this project done... reading comments, other postings, tech articles, etc. all have made me rekindle my love for my bike and riding.

Ride safe,

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Project: Resurrection from the back of the garage"

Postby thrasherg » Sun May 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Well I can't wait to see some pictures.. Seems like you have put a lot of work into the bike, I really hope it lives up to your memories.. Always great to hear about someone giving an old girl another chance at life..

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Excellent, love to hear stuff like this.

Just out of interest - when you replaced the belts, did you rotate the engine afterward, to make sure the cam sprocket arrows lined up at the same time as the T-1 flywheel mark lined up? I would hate to have all this work you're doing be undone by the crashing of valves into pistons.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Saturday May 29th, 2010

At 3:00PM EDT the Wing was brought back to life!!!

Just prior to this I removed and cleaned the spark plugs, sprayed 10 CC of Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder, removed the top of the fuel pump to find and clean out the jellied remains of long forgotten gasoline from both the diaphragm and check valves, filled the freshly flushed and cleaned fuel tank with 3 gallons of regular gas (with 1.5 ounces of Sta Bil fuel stabilizer in it) new 1/4" fuel lines and fuel filter (from the Randakk carb rebuild kit), freshly filled the cooling system with a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water ( I had drained it and flushed/cleaned it when I did the timing belts last weekend, I also replaced the T-stat and both radiator hoses as well) and began cranking her over with the kill switch in the off position until the oil light went out to insure adequate oil pressure.

As the engine spun happily driven by the starter motor and some MM oil mist escaped through the spark plug holes, I grew increasingly nervous. Did I do everything correctly?? Had I been careful not to miss anything?? I scanned my brain and the images from these past few weeks, trying to re-create the process in my mind's eye... I was reasonably sure (this is where the self-doubt really kicks in) I had done everything exactly as it should have been, so I replaced the spark plugs, attached the spark plug wires, pulled out the choke knob and took a deep breath....

I pressed the starter button and the engine cranked over about four times and then almost as if she had never gone to sleep on me ten years ago, she roared to life!! The sound filled my ears.... it was one of the most awesome sounds I could ever remember hearing! As I listened to her purring away I had to close my eyes for a minute..... not because of any romantic or emotional reasons, but because the exhaust fumes were burning my eyes!!!

I turned on the exhaust fans in the garage and as the smoke started to clear I remembered the sounds of my wing, the exhaust rumble, the whine of the transmission primary chain....

I shut her off and hooked up my new vacuum gauges to the intake elbows and restarted her up. I have to say this RANDAKK'S CARB REBUILD KITS ARE THE BEST!!! If I ever meet Randall Washington, I would love to buy him a beer and shake his hand! The instructions that came with his ultimate kit (a book written by Howard Halasz called Honda GL 1100 Gold Wing Carburetor Repair Guide) were just what the doctor ordered! I was so impressed by his carb kit that I went and ordered his oil filter conversion adapter from the cartridge filters to regular automotive spin on filters (will make oil changes a lot easier and faster, not to mention the addition of an anti-drainback valve in the filter system now) which is well worth the price.

As the engine restarted and the gauges settled down, I was impressed that the carbs were only off sync by about a total of two inches of vacuum between the lowest to the highest. I was able to sync them right up and barely even needed to adjust the idle mixture screws because the idle was already as smooth as glass. I fiddled around for a few more minutes and then called it a day!

Next on the list is to finish the air filter box re-install and then decide what the best way to gain access to the three way block for the front brake lines that is under the fairing.... I expect that I will have to remove the fairing in order to gain access to it so I can replace the old rubber brake hoses with the new stainless steel ones I have sitting here next to me. Then it's time to rebuild the front master cylinder, the rear master and all three calipers.

Then I can take her around the block before I get new tires put on her. Sheesh!

Miles to go before I sleep....

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun May 30, 2010 10:22 am

Here are a few pics of the old girl as I am working on her...

I had a movie of her starting up, but I can't upload an .AVI file here...

Rich
Attachments
Up on the lift after yesterday's successful start-up
Up on the lift after yesterday's successful start-up
Carbs with hand polished intakes
Carbs with hand polished intakes
Carbs with hand polished intakes (other side)
Carbs with hand polished intakes (other side)
Randakk's Automotive Filter Conversion adapter with a new Purolator Pure One Gold filter on it.
Randakk's Automotive Filter Conversion adapter with a new Purolator Pure One Gold filter on it.
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 30, 2010 10:26 am

N2PPN wrote:Next on the list is to finish the air filter box re-install and then decide what the best way to gain access to the three way block for the front brake lines that is under the fairing.... I expect that I will have to remove the fairing in order to gain access to it so I can replace the old rubber brake hoses with the new stainless steel ones I have sitting here next to me. Then it's time to rebuild the front master cylinder, the rear master and all three calipers.

This is all fantastic news!

You don't have to pull the fairing to get to that brake splitter. There is a little black piece of plastic that covers it up from below. If I remember correctly, that is screwed or bolted in from inside the triple tree area. I believe I just reached down from above, unscrewed/unbolted the fasteners holding it in, and removed it, which gave access to the brake splitter, to replace the brake lines.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 30, 2010 10:27 am

N2PPN wrote:I had a movie of her starting up, but I can't upload an .AVI file here...

Upload to youtube, and then you can link it in here.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun May 30, 2010 10:30 am

A few more pics I found while uploading the last bunch.... I will try to upload the video to Youtube and link it here..

Rich
Attachments
Carb parts and more carb parts (from a couple of weeks ago)
Carb parts and more carb parts (from a couple of weeks ago)
Another view of the "parts bins"
Another view of the "parts bins"
Sitting on the lift with the carb parts all neatly in a row...
Sitting on the lift with the carb parts all neatly in a row...
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Va6bMr9K4

The link to the video... enjoy!

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun May 30, 2010 10:45 am

If you look carefully at the picture #2854 with the carb parts on the lift next to the bike, carb #3 bowl is tilted so you can see the yellow "powder" that I found caked inside the bowls and blocking up all the jets and passages..

By the way, I found that the little cleaning brushes that my orthodontist gave my kids to clean in between their braces (which they almost never did) were PERFECT for cleaning out all those small needle jet parts and air cutoff passages ...

Even after boiling the carbs in distilled water for ten minutes each, there was still a yellow stain inside the bowls from whatever that stuff was...

I am thinking it was dissolved mineral deposits that were present in the last load of bad gas I got before the bike died ten years ago.. Could have come from a gas station with leaking tanks or something.... but who cares now, as it ia all gone from carbs and fuel tank and no longer an issue.

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Got all the brake lines, the front and rear masters and all three calipers off the bike today. Replaced the front lines from the 3-in-1 under the fairing (Thanks WingAdmin, you provided valuable info on the plastic vanity cover)... I was a little surprised that the new stainless line from the front master appears short by about 2 inches... I contacted the vendor and am waiting for a reply on the exact length line required for the front master to the double banjo bolt on the right side of the 3-in-1.... I think I was accidentally sent an earlier year line with the old round master cylinder, rather than the rectangular one I have.

The rear line was fun to do, after removing the OEM one, I cut off the rubber grommets from the old hose and replaced them in the holding clips on the swingarm and frame... the new 1/8" stainless line is a bit smaller in diameter than the old rubber hose, so some additional "closure" was needed on each one to insure that the rubber wouldn't slide out and fall off the new brake line.... the most fun one of these to do was the one on the swingarm right in front of the rear tire and below the exhaust crossover and centerstand..... sheesh!! wish I had small hands like that guy in the Burger King commercials....

All the calipers cam off easily enough (I was a fanatic about using never seize when doing brake work on the wing all those years ago) but the pistons were another matter... I first had to take the dental pick tool and remove as much crud as possible from the end of the caliper bore, then I sprayed a little liquid wrench on the joint... then I got the air gun and a rag and went to town...

If the piston moved even a little bit, I knew I was OK... at least they all moved a bit... the front left one moved about an inch and then stopped dead in it's tracks, the right front only moved about a quarter inch and stopped, the rear was the one that laughed at me "ha ha ha ha" it refused to move even a little bit.

After a few rounds of C-clamp and liquid wrench, the first two pistons "popped" out , the rear however was still being stubborn. So I justkept working it a little bit at a time and then when i got it to move about a half an inch, grabbed it with channelocks and rotated it in it's bore... that seemed to do it, now it moved again as it was being coerced out of the caliper.

The two masters are sitting in their respective parts trays (who am I kidding, the same chineese food containers I used for the carb rebuild) as are the brake assemblies... tomorrow is another day for the bike.....

Rich

PS here are some pics of my pistons and caliper bores... I will need to replace the pistons as they all have some degree of the chrome showing signs of "bubbling" and flaking off, and I don't want to keep replacing the O-ring seal as the imperfections wear it out... Anyone have a source for pistons???
Attachments
Sorry for the blurry pic, the new stainless line is a bit too short.
Sorry for the blurry pic, the new stainless line is a bit too short.
The vanity panel removed, the new brake lines attach relatively easily.
The vanity panel removed, the new brake lines attach relatively easily.
one of the pistons, couldn't polish the rust spot out....
one of the pistons, couldn't polish the rust spot out....
one of the caliper bores... nothing a little careful cleaning and non-abrasive polishing can't fix..
one of the caliper bores... nothing a little careful cleaning and non-abrasive polishing can't fix..
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 am

I hope you didn't damage or scar the piston by wrenching it out - they have to be polished pretty smooth, or they will make short work of the seals inside the cylinder. I suspect that being you couldn't polish the corrosion out that you'll be replacing them. I had a few very small pits left in mine (both front and rear) after quite a bit of polishing, but decided to see how they would work just leaving them in, and they've seemed to have worked just fine for over a year now - no leaks.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Mon May 31, 2010 9:40 am

Hmmm,

I had thought about it, just polishing them and resigning myself to having to change the seals a little earlier than I would like to... BUT since I am doing ALL this work, I really should do right by the old girl and not scrimp on something as important as brakes....

I looked around and have found STAINLESS STEEL replacement pistons for the calipers!!!
( http://www.motorcyclesolutionsllc.com/s ... 100/Detail )
This would mean that the next time I open her up, the pistons will be able to be cleaned up and won't damage the seals... They ARE a little more $$ than the replacements I have found (the regular OEM type are about 30 bucks each + shipping, the stainless ones are $35 bucks each and only $10 more for shipping..) but since I will be replacing the pistons anyway, I think the upgrade will be worth the extra $$$.

I don't have any information on this vendor, so if anyone has any comments about Motorcycle Solutions LLC. Please let me know.

More to come, as Father's Day is fast approaching and that is my goal for getting her back on the road!!

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Nice. I'm going to hang onto that link for the next time I do mine.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Ordered the SS pistons yesterday (Memorial Day) and they shipped today!!!

I think I LIKE this vendor!!! :D

John from Motorcyclesolutionsllc.com is my newest bestest friend!!

Woo Hoo!! :D

Rich

(Cleaning the calipers and masters)
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

zvacman
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby zvacman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Rich:

Where did you get the new brake lines and did they remedy the problem with the one that was too short? The brakes on my 82 seem pretty weak so I may have to do a total rebuild on them this year.

Thanks, Z

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:20 pm

I got the brake line kit from and Ebay seller. The auction number for my year brake lines was 110528547340 and a similar auction for an earlier GL 1000 was 110516488005. Hi feeback score was acceptable and I took a chance on him.

So far Raymond (the gentleman I have been in contact with has been very willing to solve my problem with the short line... I E-mailed him yesterday and gave him the length I required (23" end to end) for the line from the front master cylinder to the brake splitter under the fairing, and the type and orientation of the fittings to each other (you can not "twist" stainless hose, so if the fittings need the hose to "twist" you must know how much of a radial offset you require to not put stress on the brake line)

I didn't see any response from him as yet today, so I will assume he is getting the new line out to me.

I will post when it arrives and is installed and put up a picture.

I have finished cleaning up the front and rear master cylinders SHEESH! what a mess they were!! A WHOLE lot of this crystallized stuff all over them, it took off a good deal of the paint on the front master and most of the paint on the rear... I have finished getting it all off and am now looking to either powder coat (which I decided against as I CAN'T get the reservoir off the front master to save my life) or paint them... Probably will go with a high quality epoxy spray paint in flat black...

Will post some pics of 'em before and after...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Heard from Raymond (the gentleman that I got the SS brake line set from) today, he expected to have my replacement line in the mail to me today. I am finishing up the front and rear masters (was a little hot here on LI these past two days) as I was going to post a picture or two of them before and after I refinished them, but got carried away and didn't snap any pics before, so here are the "afters"..... will be putting the DOT 5.1 glycol brake fluid into the system as soon as the longer front master line shows up.... this will give me a chance to locate my vacuum pump to bleed the masters with.... the garage seems to swallow up random things just before I need to use them.

Enjoy the pics, oh and BTW, I am replacing ALL the incandescent bulbs on my wing with LED bulbs... just ordered them a little while ago... will have some pics of them as well as some observations on the reduced lighting load on my bike (I have a LOT of additional lights on her) which always was a bit of a problem in stop and go traffic here in NYC Metro area (mainly because I DON'T split lanes or white line between traffic) battery voltage would drop and the air horns wouldn't have enough juice to scare the idiots away.

More to come, stay tuned!!

Rich
Attachments
Rear Master Side View
Rear Master Side View
Rear Master Top View
Rear Master Top View
Front Master View 1
Front Master View 1
Front Master View 2
Front Master View 2
Three new STAINLESS STEEL Caliper Pistons
Three new STAINLESS STEEL Caliper Pistons
Nice freshly polished caliper bore (well within service limits) all three are NICE now!
Nice freshly polished caliper bore (well within service limits) all three are NICE now!
Nice fit! not too loose, not too tight, just right!
Nice fit! not too loose, not too tight, just right!
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Got the LED bulbs the other day. I was a little disappointed. While they are more energy efficient and would definitely reduce alternator load on the wing, they just aren't as bright as the OEM type incandescent ones.

The rear taillight was the first to be tested, side by side I had one of each type of bulb, while the LED one was nicer lighting up my license plate (still have the old NYS white plates on the bike) it didn't have the "oomph" out the back of the taillight lens. Also the 1156 type bulb needed for the turn signals, would require a ballast resistor to be installed in order for the turn signal relay to work correctly as it didn't work with even one of the bulbs installed which would necessitate installation of an electronic flasher unit to overcome this problem without adding the ballast resistor which would negate any energy savings of switching to the LED bulbs.

I know, I know, you are saying "what kind of LED bulb did you use"?? well I used a 63 LED bulb 1157 dual brightness type. Both illumination levels were lower than the incandescent ones. I was impressed with the 194 bulb replacements for my marker lights ( a 194 bulb is the all glass one with the two wires wrapped around the base, also called a wedge bulb)

I will be posting some side-by-side pics for others to compare for themselves. I guess LED technology has to be implemented from the initial design stage including the reflector and focal length of the light source to the reflector surfaces, this would explain why there is a difference between the two types of bulbs.

more to come......

Still waiting on the longer front brake line.... it is en route.

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Looks to be coming along very nicely.. Just be sure to wipe of any brake fluid after you finish bleeding the system. It would be a real shame to see all that nice new black paint start coming off and corroding..

Gary

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Here are pics of the LED taillight test....

Judge for yourself....

BTW the LED is on the LEFT!

Rich
Attachments
Brake Lights on
Brake Lights on
Parking/Running lights on
Parking/Running lights on
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:36 pm

I too was disappointed when I first changed my brake lights to LED. I had some kind of LED replacement bulb with 30-something LEDs on it, but I found it was nowhere near as bright as the original incandescent.

I found that when it comes to LED bulbs, more isn't necessarily better. Yes, you might have 30 dim LED's, but all that gives you is one big, dim light.

Instead, I tried some of the high-power 13W 1156 LED's from this eBay store. They're a little more pricey ($21/pair), and they have only 9 LEDs on them - three facing straight out, and six on the side, in groups of two. But they are eye-searingly bright.

I put those in my brake light, and they are MUCH brighter than the original bulbs. I was so impressed that I bought four amber bulbs as well, for my turn signals: two 1157's for the rear, and two 1156's for the front.

I did also replace my flasher with an electronic unit, which was a simple upgrade.
Attachments
LED Brake Light
LED Brake Light

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 am

Status Update:

Replaced flasher unit with an electronic one and now the rear turn signals and auxiliary brake lights are LED'd. Interestingly enough when I try to put the LED lamps in the front fairing lenses, the flasher stops working.... Hmmmm, I may need to add that ballast resistor after all, but not right now.

Replaced faulty horn relay for air horns with a newer one and re-wired the relay to provide direct fused power from battery, rather than through accessory circuit as previously wired, horns sound GOOD!!

Bike is all reassembled (brake line came in yesterday and fronts all bled and ready for action) all body panels/parts are on, and tires are en route from Motorcycle Superstore. Too bad the responses to the "Tires?" post were so sparse, I wound up ordering the Metzlers ME88 and ME880 for the rear and front. If I had see the post about the Shinko's Tourmasters, I might have considered them AND saved some money. Seems that the Venom tires WingAdmin was posting about aren't made in my sizes for the rear (I think), so I couldn't even consider them in my research. I had considered the usual's, Dunlop, etc. I didn't see the Shinko's untill I went back to research them after Lake_Harley's posting.

I found a local Motorcycle shop who will mount and electronically balance my wheels/tires for me (As long as I remove them from the bike and bring in just the old tires/wheels) for $35 a piece.

NYSDMV won't fine me for not having kept the registration active for these past 10 years, and I got a FANTASTIC quote for insurance from Progressive Insurance (No, Flo from the TV commercials wasn't there when I called, she was outside on break) including comprehensive and everything!!! Wow, I guess it IS good to be an old guy once and a while!!!

Will post some pics of the Wing sitting on the ground, rather than up on the lift in the garage, ASAP.
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 am

Can't wait to see the photo's. sounds like you have made amazing progress..

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Update #2 (at 2:30 PM EDT):

Got my Insurance cards E-mailed to me (THANK YOU PROGRESSIVE!!!) went to and just got back from the DMV, got new plates, put 'em on her.

Now I gotta move some stuff around in garage to get her off the Handy Lift... I am bummed that I have a meeting to go to this afternoon so I may have to put her on hold for another day....<sigh>..... Oh well I waited ten years, another day or two (might rain tomorrow) won't hurt me... this way I can wait for my tires to show up...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”