Loose Throttle

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FallenHeavens
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Loose Throttle

Postby FallenHeavens » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:40 am

My throttle isn't very tight, it has a bit of looseness to it from being completely closed to slightly open. It tends to keep my idle at about 1200-ish as opposed to the 800-900 range that it typically is when I close the throttle completely [I have to hold it in place to prevent the idle from rising]. Is there any way I can tighten the throttle so that I have a more direct response from the throttle?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Loose Throttle

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:21 am

FallenHeavens wrote:My throttle isn't very tight, it has a bit of looseness to it from being completely closed to slightly open. It tends to keep my idle at about 1200-ish as opposed to the 800-900 range that it typically is when I close the throttle completely [I have to hold it in place to prevent the idle from rising]. Is there any way I can tighten the throttle so that I have a more direct response from the throttle?

It could be a couple different things. Normally the spring on the throttles will snap it all the way closed and hold it there. If the throttle cables are sticking it can have trouble pulling them all the way shut.

When at idle, try pushing the throttle closed right at the spring itself, on the back of the carburetors, where the throttle cables hook onto it - you can see it in this picture:

If that brings the idle back down, but it gets pulled back open when you release it, I would think about replacing your throttle cables:

How to replace your throttle cables

New throttle cables are not expensive, and it's good insurance against a broken cable, which can leave you stranded.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”