Rear Caliper Bolt Seized

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Rear Caliper Bolt Seized

Postby aznyaz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I'm in the middle of replacing my rear tire and having trouble with one of the caliper bolts seizing up. I have the old style single piston caliper with the 2 bolt connection to the caliper bracket. The front bolt (#20 in the parts manual) is the one that's seized inside the caliper pin A (item #17 in the parts manual). Has this ever happened to anyone?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Caliper Bolt Seized

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Ouch, that's going to be tough to get to. Are you able to get it to move at all, or is it jammed solid? Have you used any penetrating oil on it? (Also see Make your own penetrating oil

I would be tempted to try an impact wrench, but worried about damaging that caliper pin.

aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Re: Rear Caliper Bolt Seized

Postby aznyaz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 pm

I have put it all back together with the seized bolt/pin situation. Right now, the bolt is not tightened all the way because it's seized so it's not tight on the caliper (there's about a 1/16" of play. The other bolt/pin assembly is tight though. This is the rear one. The brake seems to work normally, no rattles or squeals (in fact, the rear brake seems quieter than before I started the job).

I don't think I will be able to get the bolt out of the pin. It doesn't seem like penetrating oil will do anything. I just had the caliper off the bracket the last time I replaced my rear tire (7,000 miles ago). What I will probably have to do is cut the bolt with a hacksaw and replace it and the pin, but there is another problem that may require replacement of the caliper all together. The squared edges of the pin that keep it from turning when tightening damaged the caliper body when I was trying to loosen it, so there isn't enough straight material to keep the pin from turning anymore.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”