Won't start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pitnor54

Won't start

Postby pitnor54 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:42 pm

My bike just clicks once when I try to start it. The Honda shop told me it's probably the relay. I tried to short the terminals on the relay to test it like they said to, and it still only clicks. I'd hate to waste 93 dollars on a new relay if that's not the problem. Could there be anything else wrong?

Rockaroll
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Won't start

Postby Rockaroll » Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi! I don't know how the 1100's starter circuit looks, but the 1500 has two high amp relay for the starter. Also, if you connect a voltmeter to the battery when you push the starter button, and it drops under (about) 8V (depends on your battery), then the relay works fine and the starter motor is connected to the battery.

Give more info and I'll try to help!

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Won't start

Postby Jeeper » Sun May 23, 2010 5:35 pm

pitnor54 wrote:My bike just clicks once when I try to start it. The Honda shop told me it's probably the relay. I tried to short the terminals on the relay to test it like they said to, and it still only clicks. I'd hate to waste 93 dollars on a new relay if that's not the problem. Could there be anything else wrong?

There could be a few things wrong. I would purchase a $5 test light instead of relying on the "short the solenoid (relay)" method. Its much safer for you and your bike. The first and most obvious is the battery. A known good battery or a charger with a start feature should be tried first. If that isn't the problem, then I would check the starter next.

With the negative lead of the test light, or meter, connected to the negative side of the battery, put the test probe on the nut on the side of the starter where the power wire connects. Push the start button and watch the light. If it lights up, then the starter is getting power, the solenoid is working and the starter is bad. You can attempt a rebuild as outlined on this site, or purchase new for about $75 online.

If the light doesn't light, but you hear the solenoid click each time you push the button, then the relay is probably the issue.

You can test the yellow wire that goes into the white connector on the solenoid for power. This is the wire connected to the start button and should be powered anytime you're pushing the button. The other "key" is the green wire going into this connector which is a ground. For this ground to work, the bike needs to be in neutral, or the clutch has to be engaged. The only real way to test this is with a meter checking continuity to ground. Either of these wires can cause the bike not to start, but the relay wouldn't click either.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”