Fork Seal replacement Gl1100I

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Fork Seal replacement Gl1100I

Postby stevenstrack » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Replacing the fork seals and so far it isn't very difficult. Started by removing calipers, speedometer cable, axle & wheel, and fender. Loosened the two lower bolts on the upper cylinder right below the fairing (14mm), loosened the top pinch bolt (10mm i believe) and the cylinder center support bolt (14mm) (I did not remove them just loosened them). I let what air was in the forks out and removed the air line to the caps starting with the right side(you have to remove the right one first as the hose will twist if you start on the left side (10mm). I then took the fork lower support brace off.i almost forgot before I loosened and of the upper cylinder bolts I removed the bottom drain screws that are on the bottom of the forks where the axle is clamped down on. Nasty oil and there wasn't mush left in there. I think the forks capacity is only 9 oz for each fork. I will have to verify this tomorrow as I need to go buy some fork oil. If anybody knows of a good alternative it would be greatly appreciated. So air lines off the caps and cylinder bolts loosened, a couple yanks and the left hand side was removed. Popped the dust cover with a small screw driver and took a while to get the cir clip out, the clip lies kind of deep so I used a small Phillips screwdriver and a couple small straight slots to remove the clip. Good thing when I ordered the consumables that I ordered these clips..a little bent but probably could be reused if I had to. Well with clip removed the lower half seals and bushings are exposed. Now I took a old inner tube, rapped it around the upper cylinder and secured it to table vice. Cut a notch in a piece of 1 1/4 PVC pipe to fit around the air fitting on the cap (1 piece air fitting/cap)....used a 14mm wrench with a small piece of the rubber so I wouldn't scratch the air fitting and keeping force against the cap slowly backed it out....well it popped at the end but all is ok...just need to be careful because the springs do have some pressure.....it will probably be fun tomorrow when I reassemble. The only thing I can't figure out is how the piston that is in the cylinder comes out....not really sure that I have to replace anything on is as I believe the fork was leaking out of the lower seals. If anyone has any suggestion on how to get the piston out please let me know. I will try and take some pictures when I take the other side out. :ugeek:

stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Re: Fork Seal replacement Gl1100I

Postby stevenstrack » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:19 pm

This is taking longer because my forks had a bunch of stickers on them so I have been using a non metallic scraper, scraping the stickers off, using goo be gone, mothers polish, drill with mandrel and one of the 3m fiber stripping disks... A lot of work but they look so much better. Im through the worst of it and ready to reassemble the right side tomorrow. Still have to put new pads on the front due to the fork seal saturating both calipers. Glad the wife has left me alone to get her done...more work tomorrow. :o

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:36 am

stevenstrack wrote:This is taking longer because my forks had a bunch of stickers on them so I have been using a non metallic scraper, scraping the stickers off, using goo be gone, mothers polish, drill with mandrel and one of the 3m fiber stripping disks... A lot of work but they look so much better. Im through the worst of it and ready to reassemble the right side tomorrow. Still have to put new pads on the front due to the fork seal saturating both calipers. Glad the wife has left me alone to get her done...more work tomorrow. :o

Easiest way to get stickers off is with a heat gun. Heat them up, they lift right off. Then Goo Gone to remove any remaining adhesive.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:04 pm

In a pinch, peanut butter and eucalyptus oil will defeat the glues. It is also good for chewing gum in the hair, on the dog, and those patches that are popular with some people to absorb stuff (aka medication) through the skin. Sounds like you are having nearly as much fun as riding, so keep it going.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:13 pm

While ya got it all apart and have scraped on the lower legs ya might do well to just go ahead and strip off the rest of the clear coat on em... Then polish the aluminum up or paint with aluminum color paint then clear coat em again... I really like the POR15 clear covering as it is a rather tough coating that resists stone chips...

http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC_p_45.html

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby dakotanator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 am

The greatest product I have EVER found to remove glues and labels is 3M Adhesive Remover. Citrus based. 100% perfect glue/label removal.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”