Factory Gauge Cluster Installation

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Factory Gauge Cluster Installation

Postby mytown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:35 am

I'd say it's pretty straightforward. Here's what I did. Note the 4 dimples just above the headlight adjusting know. That's where the mounting holes are drilled:

I started with a small bit and worked my way up to 1/2" holes to accommodate the well nuts I planned to use.

I put a couple of rubber washers under the lip of the well nuts so as to match the height of the original grommets:

Screw in top two bracket mounting screws. You might want to note how the bracket is designed to catch the windshield nuts:

Thread the wires from the back of the gauges through the center hole in the bracket, then slide the cluster housing over the top ears of the bracket. Screw the bottom two mounting screws through the housing and bracket and down into the well nuts; screw the two top clips that secure the top of the housing to the bracket:

Notice that the harness allows for four green and four brown wires. These are for the lights, one green and one brown for each of the lights should you use all four gauges. Black is switched power for the voltmeter and red is constant power for the clock:
The two end terminals of the gauge harness plug into two matching terminals found in the fairing harness.

Here's a picture of the two matching fairing harness terminals that I found conveniently located just behind my left turn signal:
I'd say that my wiring is unmolested. Your results may vary :o The arrow in the above picture is pointing to one of four tubes that I'm guessing act as guides for drilling the mounting holes. They are drilled out in the process.

Some tips. If there are any problems it is in mounting the bracket, specifically getting the mounting holes to line up. The original setup was to use 4 grommets each with a bushing inside. A narrow screw passed through the bracket the bushing to be secured by wing nuts from inside the fairing while reaching your hand through the turn signal openings. When loosely secured, this design allowed for wiggle room so to speak to get all four mounting holes to line up. the well nuts are not so accommodating. As such, I wallowed out the holes a bit to get that wiggle room. Here's a picture comparing an original grommet to a well nut:

I'm sure there are lots of mounting solutions. Just figure on needing a bit of wiggle room.

Last edited by mytown on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Factory Gauge Cluster Installation

Postby mytown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:54 am

A couple more pictures:
Clips/screws for securing the top of the gauge housing to the bracket:

Back of gauge cluster:

Four original grommets and bushings from my gl500. I was going to use them but went with the well nuts. The marks were made by a needle nose pliers while pulling as hard as I could from the top and pulling on the grommet from underneath, inside the fairing. A few drops dish detergent made it a little easier, but not much:

Here's a picture of a well-worn gasket from the top of the cluster housing and lastly a picture of the back of the temperature gauge:

Additions and subtractions welcomed. I would also like to say that I have a gl500 fairing disassembled and that one or two pictures might be of it. The two fairings are nearly identical.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”