Final drive oil fill, Radio not working, Timing belt questio

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
35gmile83aspy
Motorcycle: 1983 GLO1100A Goldwing

Final drive oil fill, Radio not working, Timing belt questio

Postby 35gmile83aspy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 pm

I just bought a 83 Aspencade GL1100A. It has 35000 miles.
I drained the gear oil from final drive, but when filling ack up took less than half what came out. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, my radio doesn't work. The clock does, but nothing on the radio. I opened the fairing, found alot of wires. But do not know what is what.
Can someone guide me in the right direction as to what wires are for radio, fuse sizes/locations, etc.? I can read a schematic.

I would also like to know how u can tell (by listening/driving) if my engine needs a new timing belt?

35gmile83aspy

Re: final drive low level

Postby 35gmile83aspy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:49 pm

I have a 83 GL1100A with 35000 miles

As posted, I drained the black pudding from the Final Drive, but when I filled it it took half of what came out. Why is that?

I also noticed a greasy dirty area where Final Drive bolts to Drive Shaft. They were tight, and book doesn't show z gasket. I pumped in some new grease try the zerk. How do I stop the leak?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Final drive oil fill, Radio not working, Timing belt que

Postby redial » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:16 pm

I would also like to know how u can tell (by listening/driving) if my engine needs a new timing belt?

I can help with this bit.

You probably could not tell the difference between a good and a bad timing belt by listening. If in doubt, just change the belts. They are fairly inexpensive, and when you compare that cost with the cost of a major engine repair, it is a flea on an elephant comparison.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Have a read through How to replace the gear oil in your final drive - just to make sure that you are filling it correctly. If you are, then it's possible the previous owner had overfilled it.

There are quite a few inline fuses buried in that nest of wires behind the left front turn signal, that are all related to the radio. First check to make sure any of those fuses aren't blown. You can find some manuals (installation manual is a good one) for the radio by clicking "Manuals" at the top of the page.

As for the timing belts - there is no way to tell their condition. Timing belts don't wear like regular drive belts, because they are designed not to stretch at all, so they don't crack when old and worn. Timing belts that are worn and will break tomorrow could look exactly like belts that are a month old and will be good for years. If a timing belt breaks, your engine can be destroyed, so if you don't know when the belts were last done, then it is time to do them now.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Re: final drive low level

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:09 pm

35gmile83aspy wrote:I have a 83 GL1100A with 35000 miles

As posted, I drained the black pudding from the Final Drive, but when I filled it it took half of what came out. Why is that?

I also noticed a greasy dirty area where Final Drive bolts to Drive Shaft. They were tight, and book doesn't show z gasket. I pumped in some new grease try the zerk. How do I stop the leak?

It's possible that someone pumped way too much grease in there, and it's just oozing out. Or, it's possible that a seal on the final drive has failed, and it's leaking gear oil. To be sure, I would pull the final drive off the swingarm and check things out.

35gmile83aspy

Postby 35gmile83aspy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Thank you all for your replies to my post. But, I would like to say that I am still confused.
Example: in my post I stated that I got far more nasty puddinglike oil than I was able to get in after draining.
If the final drive seal was leaking out, I would think the final drive would be dry rather than full of black goo/nasty oil.
I think the idea of pumping too much grease into the drive shaft via the zero may be correct. Although I still don't think there should be a leak in this area.

I really hope I can sort out the radio. I'd truly like to keep it all original.

If I can figure out how, I will post a pic of my bike. I bought it at a yard sale for $600.00 and this bike is gorgeous. What little rust was there I have taken off with a fine steel wool.

I'm looking for a windshield. But just lost my job so that's out the window for now. I was sooo looking forward to riding this season.

35gmile83aspy

Postby 35gmile83aspy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:40 pm

I would like to say another thing to get your opinions. Because the bike sat for 4 years, and then (after I put fresh gas in it, let it get up to temp), then I rode it around for about 5 miles. I'm thinking that I can put a little Mystery Oil into the Final Drive. Drive it a few miles, drain it. Repeat a few times till all the nasty oil from final drive is replaced with good clean gear oil.
This is how I cleaned out the old oil from crankcase, and that worked well.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:45 pm

If the GW has been sitting in a shed for a number of years, the timing belts would be high on my list of "must do". Those belts would be set out of shape. Apart from age, (the big destroyer of rubber), this should be a red flag for you.

I am not good enough to talk to you about the gunk masquerading as oil, but it sounds like you need to find out the capacity, and check the amount that you are putting in vs what should be going in.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Give me a little info about the radio. Is it a clarion I or II? cb? Is it in the fairing or on the handlebars?
Pics tell us a whole lot more than you can type.

For a garage sale find and you have 5 miles under the tires I would say you got a great ride.

Put some sea foam in the gas tank after you get the timing belts changed. Put some sea foam in the oil and ride it for 75-100 miles and drain it while it is still warm. This will free up/clean up
your wet clutch.

35gmile83aspy

Postby 35gmile83aspy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:32 pm

That's why I put the Mystery Oil in it for. I have always liked it better than Seafoam.

My radio is Clarion but I don't know I or II
I would guess I. Its in left side. No CB, just am/fm, preset buttons, clock. My dash is the all digital style, not the round gauges.
I found a nest of dead mice. They chewed the wires. I have cut out most of the damaged areas. Hooked all that up- nothing. There are a couple cables coming from back of radio that are pretty bad, but I think both of these are for accessories (they have pins in end of plugs). Only three wires have inline bus fuses. I was able to check two, but other in tight spot to get fuse out.

I need to know how to get picture on here.

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 pm

35gmile83aspy wrote:I just bought a 83 Aspencade GL1100A. It has 35000 miles.
I drained the gear oil from final drive, but when filling ack up took less than half what came out. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, my radio doesn't work. The clock does, but nothing on the radio. I opened the fairing, found alot of wires. But do not know what is what.
Can someone guide me in the right direction as to what wires are for radio, fuse sizes/locations, etc.? I can read a schematic.

I've been drinking...

The timing belt question, if it hasn't been answered before now, I'm going to answer it for you. 31-year-old timing belts (if you don't know if they've been changed or not)....CHANGE THEM.
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Have a read through How to replace the gear oil in your final drive - just to make sure that you are filling it correctly. If you are, then it's possible the previous owner had overfilled it.

There are quite a few inline fuses buried in that nest of wires behind the left front turn signal, that are all related to the radio. First check to make sure any of those fuses aren't blown. You can find some manuals (installation manual is a good one) for the radio by clicking "Manuals" at the top of the page.

As for the timing belts - there is no way to tell their condition. Timing belts don't wear like regular drive belts, because they are designed not to stretch at all, so they don't crack when old and worn. Timing belts that are worn and will break tomorrow could look exactly like belts that are a month old and will be good for years. If a timing belt breaks, your engine can be destroyed, so if you don't know when the belts were last done, then it is time to do them now.

I upvote the timing belt answer on this one!!

Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 pm

35gmile83aspy wrote:That's why I put the Mystery Oil in it for. I have always liked it better than Seafoam.

My radio is Clarion but I don't know I or II
I would guess I. Its in left side. No CB, just am/fm, preset buttons, clock. My dash is the all digital style, not the round gauges.
I found a nest of dead mice. They chewed the wires. I have cut out most of the damaged areas. Hooked all that up- nothing. There are a couple cables coming from back of radio that are pretty bad, but I think both of these are for accessories (they have pins in end of plugs). Only three wires have inline bus fuses. I was able to check two, but other in tight spot to get fuse out.

I need to know how to get picture on here.

You have a Clarion II (1983's only came with type II radios).

Have you checked all the radio fuses inside the fairing? There are several of them.

And what was said about the timing belts above is absolutely correct - especially because the bike was sitting for four years, you NEED to change the belts before doing anything else. You can get them for $15 each at NAPA.

Also have a look at: Adding pictures to your message

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 pm

I'd replace all the fluids. You've done the final drive, I'd do the timing belts and then do the oil, coolant too while you have the shelter (false tank) off. Flush the change out the brake fluid also. And the Seafoam through the fuel system too.

You got a steal of a deal - but it is an old bike that sat for years. That can be worse than riding it each year. Treat it well and it will carry you around for many, many miles... :mrgreen:

My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”