Replacement mirrors...AND Sunglasses

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Replacement mirrors...AND Sunglasses

Postby ankgrays » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 am

HI all,

2 different questions...one thread.

I need to replace the factory mirrors on my 1981 Interstate.

Does anyone know where I can get some GOOD direct fit replacement side mirrors that wont get loose and flop all around? I think mine are the orig. ones and need some good replacements.

AND...

For you guys that wear glasses...what do you wear or recommend for sunglasses when riding? Obviously they need to be over-the glasses type, but what are good reasonably priced ones and where do you get them?

I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Replacement mirrors...AND Sunglasses

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm

ankgrays wrote:For you guys that wear glasses...what do you wear or recommend for sunglasses when riding? Obviously they need to be over-the glasses type, but what are good reasonably priced ones and where do you get them?

You must have missed the newsletter this month: The Best (and cheapest) Riding Sunglasses

Have a read through that thread.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm

ankgrays wrote:Does anyone know where I can get some GOOD direct fit replacement side mirrors that wont get loose and flop all around? I think mine are the orig. ones and need some good replacements.

Oh, and I put these on my 1100 Aspencade, and they worked quite well - part number 16-3022:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/g ... rice%5D=50

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Well...yup, you are right. I got the newsletter, but haven,t read it yet though.

That's next...after I finish this post.

As far as the mirror recommendation: I think I'll order those as soon as I finish the newsletter....

THANX!!

DG
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:10 pm

JC Whitney has the mirrors as well, Ordered a set for the 83 and they do fit perfect and look great and so far have not rusted (with regular care)

Cheap over eyeglasses sunglasses? have you looked a Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor Freight at there Tinted safety glasses? I have a set in clear and mirror tint and love them..

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:07 pm

I got the safety / sunglasses from Home Depot the other night. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but will keep y'all posted.

Now I just have to decide on a set of mirrors....

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:55 pm

ankgrays wrote:HI all,

2 different questions...one thread.

I need to replace the factory mirrors on my 1981 Interstate.

Does anyone know where I can get some GOOD direct fit replacement side mirrors that wont get loose and flop all around? I think mine are the orig. ones and need some good replacements.

AND...

For you guys that wear glasses...what do you wear or recommend for sunglasses when riding? Obviously they need to be over-the glasses type, but what are good reasonably priced ones and where do you get them?

I got some nice prescription Raybans that stay on my head while I'm riding. Now, I have a little extra money on my medical spending account, and I'm going to ask Obama to let me buy some prescription 'biker' glasses (yeah, they have those). Thanks, Obama!
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:59 pm

ankgrays wrote:I got the safety / sunglasses from Home Depot the other night. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but will keep y'all posted.

Now I just have to decide on a set of mirrors....

I found the cheap replacement mirrors for the gl1100 work just fine. Tighten up the adjustment screw as tight as you can get them without stripping them, then install them. I put a few washers on the "bolt" before I snugged it up. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. After that, go to Autozone, and buy a couple of stick-on round mirrors to put in the corner of your new mirrors. This will cover most of the blind spots you will have.

I WANT HONDA TO INSTALL CONCAVE/CONVEX MIRRORS ON OUR BIKES!!1!
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:02 am

Still haven't ordered mirrors, BUT....

The tinted safety glasses worked great! The bows are a little flimsey, so might try to "stiffen" 'em up with some heat shrink tubing.

Thanks for the tip!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”