Knoking and missing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
KHAWK
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100
1981 GL 1100 Interstate

Knoking and missing

Postby KHAWK » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:48 am

Lets see if I can explain, My 81 interstate started to MISS a lot when i give it the gas hard. And also at slow or low rpm it started to have like a power knock.
I burn good gas and put a small bit of Sefome in the tank. Could this be plugs or ?Any one got any Ideas help would be most appreciated . Thanks K

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: Knoking and missing

Postby 702scottc » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:27 am

Start with a set of spark plugs, they can cause a lot of issues. Has been running ok or is this an ongoing issue? Could also be carburetor issues as well. Always start with the most obvious and simple fixes. How old are the timing belts? An engine out of time will cause the engine to knock rather severely and ruin it quickly if not addressed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Knoking and missing

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 am

KHAWK wrote:Lets see if I can explain, My 81 interstate started to MISS a lot when i give it the gas hard. And also at slow or low rpm it started to have like a power knock.
I burn good gas and put a small bit of Sefome in the tank. Could this be plugs or ?Any one got any Ideas help would be most appreciated . Thanks K

Have you pulled your plugs to have a look at them? Your engine sounds fuel starved under load. I'd check fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel shut-off valve (in that order). If you haven't replaced your fuel filter in a while, it could be as simple as the restricted filter no allowing the pump to move enough fuel at higher speeds (speed = load) and if that's the case, when you roll on the throttle, the engine is leaning out and running poorly.

The "power knock" at lower RPMs could mean your carbs need to be balanced.

Just an opinion, not saying that's what's wrong, but where I'd look if mine ran like that.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”