New fork seals, carb synch Questions?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
nickgroves0308
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL1100 Gold Wing

New fork seals, carb synch Questions?

Postby nickgroves0308 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:23 am

Hello all. I just replaced the fork seals on my 82' 1100 and no more leaking. However the shocks seem to be a little bit soft. I have about 15 psi in them and I wonder if the softeness is normal. When I sit on the bike the shocks are fine but if I pull the front brake and give a good push forward there seems to be quite a lot of travel. Whats normal? I just got the bike a few months ago and have been restoring the neccessary bits.

Also, I completely rebuilt the carbs but have not synched them yet. The bike starts and idles fine but after I take off, at higher RPM, there's a kind of lag/rattle thing going on. She moves pretty good but it seems like I'm not getting ALL of the power out of her. Is this a carb synch issue?

Thanks guys!!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New fork seals, carb synch Questions?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 25, 2010 10:02 am

The front forks do feel "soft" - in that they compress quite a bit when you put some weight on them. Certainly softer than what you'd find on a lighter motorcycle. I think that's part of what gives you that "pillowy" ride that lets you go for hours on end. :) As long as the shocks aren't bottoming out over large bumps, then you're fine. If you want a stiffer ride, you can replace the springs with Progressives.

The carbs really should be synced after they are rebuilt, but unless they are REALLY out of sync, you won't notice a lot of problems at higher RPM. The place where carb sync makes a big difference is idle and just off idle.

When you say you're getting a lag and rattle, is this when the engine is being "lugged" under higher power and (relatively) lower RPM?

nickgroves0308

Postby nickgroves0308 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm glad my front shock characteristics are normal. There's no bottoming out so I must be in good shape. As to the engine lag/rattle, yes it occurs at relatively low rpm (like 3500 to 4500rpm). It's seems to struggle getting up to speed. The odd thing is that when it's sitting, in neutral, I can rev the engine and there is no rattle. Only when it's under load, like while driving/accelerating, does it lag/rattle. The bike just seems like it's struggling to get up and go.

Could it be an ignition timing thing? Or, maybe poor spark issue. I did replace the two left (cylinders 2 an 4) spark plug boot/caps because inside they were somewhat carroded(spelling?). The two right (cylinders 1 and 3) spark plug boot/caps looked ok on the inside so I haven't replaced them. There are new spark plugs all around. I don't know what the problem is but it is a bit frustrating.

Thanks again. I really appreciate any insight you can offer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Any time the engine is under load, and the individual cylinders are not producing equal power, you will get that vibration, and if it's strong enough, you will get the primary chain rattling, which is what makes that atrocious noise. It doesn't do damage, but it sounds horrible.

I would go ahead and sync the carbs - take your time and get them as close to perfect as you can. You may find the rattle improves to a point where you're not bothered anymore. Mine doesn't rattle really anywhere above 2,000 RPM, so I'm happy with that.

nickgroves0308

Postby nickgroves0308 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks a lot for info on the rattling sound. It's a relief to know that the sound is not a damaging one. I really appreciate the help. This forum is really the only resource (other then a local shop$$$) that I have to gain knowledge regarding my bike. Thanks again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”