Newly rebuilt Carbs leak on bench test

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Jimsfirstwing
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100

Newly rebuilt Carbs leak on bench test

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:24 pm

I just rebuilt the carbs on my 81 GL1100 BY THE BOOK with Randakks kit and Howards guide, VERY HELPFUL! When I put gas into the fuel inlet to check for leaks, all is good, except small drips come out of each carb at the engine side. I fear this will fill engine with gas while sitting if I forget to turn off petcock. I noticed the slide needles were loose during re-assembly but found nothing in the repair guide or on-line forums as to this problem. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if it isn't, how can I fix this?
Thanks for all your help in advance...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Newly rebuilt Carbs leak on bench test

Postby dingdong » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:20 am

The kit from Randakk doesn't include float valves. Did you replace with OEM or aftermarket or did you use the old valves?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:22 am

Were you VERY carefull when you set the float height? It HAS to be spot on from heel to toe." Close enough" just will not work. Regards, Johnyy

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:54 am

Three leak places; float needles/seats, o ring between carbs and plenum and the the plenum gasket. Sounds like yours is one of the first two..so take the caps off try gas again if coming up through the jets = float setting, needles or seats if not then o ring issue.. paper put into the plenum cut to fit will ID the leaking carb o ring(s)
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Jimsfirstwing

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:56 am

RBGERSON wrote:Three leak places; float needles/seats, o ring between carbs and plenum and the the plenum gasket. Sounds like yours is one of the first two..so take the caps off try gas again if coming up through the jets = float setting, needles or seats if not then o ring issue.. paper put into the plenum cut to fit will ID the leaking carb o ring(s)

It is leaking up through jets. I'm not sure floats are SPOT ON, so I am taking off, resetting float levels after I clean float needles and seats again. PO just rebuilt carbs before I bought bike but didn't buy the complete kit. Do carbs have to be perfectly level to do bench test? I am assuming no because bike isn't level most of the time. I had trouble setting floats without proper tools. Gonna make a tool to do it this time! I re-used floats, (looked fine visually).
You guys are awesome! Thanks!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:10 am

I level mine to do bench test..easy enough with a few Popsicle sticks and a small level I place across the plenum.

Try cleaning the float needle seat with some very fine steel wool or a Q-tip and some Comet cleanizer but if yoiu don't get new float needles yoiu may be fighting a loosing battle..the tips dry out get hard and rough and just don't seal..only real option if that's the case is OEM replacements.

Also one thing that often gets overlooked on the build is the little tag that works the needle they get bent and curved form use and settings..it should be straight and even with the rest of the brass bracket.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Jimsfirstwing

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:02 am

RBGERSON wrote:I level mine to do bench test..easy enough with a few Popsicle sticks and a small level I place across the plenum.

Try cleaning the float needle seat with some very fine steel wool or a Q-tip and some Comet cleanizer but if yoiu don't get new float needles yoiu may be fighting a loosing battle..the tips dry out get hard and rough and just don't seal..only real option if that's the case is OEM replacements.

Also one thing that often gets overlooked on the build is the little tag that works the needle they get bent and curved form use and settings..it should be straight and even with the rest of the brass bracket.

Thanks for the info. Going to do that and hope I don't need new needle valves for now. Bike was ridden in 09 and stored inside ever since.

Jimsfirstwing

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Jimsfirstwing wrote:
RBGERSON wrote:I level mine to do bench test..easy enough with a few Popsicle sticks and a small level I place across the plenum.

Thanks for the info. Going to do that and hope I don't need new needle valves for now. Bike was ridden in 09 and stored inside ever since.
Just took bowls off and needle rubber tips are flexible and seats are clean. Not sure if I am setting floats correctly... 15.5mm from o-ring sealing surface??? with carbs vertical and floats hanging causing needles to seat but not springs to be pushed. I understand the function of the rubber seats but what does the little spring loaded pin.. What does it do? My floats are set about 16-17mm and the gas is still coming out of the main jet! I would think that with the floats set at 17mm the level of gas in the bowl would be lower than required and further prevent gas from coming out of the main jet hole. Also, the manual says that little tag is the ONLY thing that needs to be bent to get the proper float settings...????---confused as usual.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:47 pm

This should help: http://www.randakksblog.com/floats-101/ Regards, Johnyy

Jimsfirstwing

Postby Jimsfirstwing » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am

Johnyy Smoke wrote:This should help: http://www.randakksblog.com/floats-101/ Regards, Johnyy

Thanks Johnyy.. That link was very helpful.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Be sure you measure the floats for proper height both side to side and front to back
When we did the 1980 GL1100 Interstate last year it was a real PIA to get them right in all directions..
But once it was correct the leak stopped - I guess the float needles need to be at the right angle to seal properly...? :?

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”