Brakes on 83 GL1100i

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bigray122
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Brakes on 83 GL1100i

Postby bigray122 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 am

Okay I just received my brake pads from Saber Cycle. However last year when the shop put pads on the back almost since they did it they squealed. That's one thing. I got new pads because hitting the pedal seemed to barely stop the bike. New pads on the back and even if I stomped the pedal it wasn't locking up the back tire. So something is amiss.... help with that please.

2nd: My right front caliper is connected to my rear brake pedal. I have never noticed that until I read a previous post. Is this by design? I'm hoping that the brake pads that I've gotten from Saber Cycle will not squeal. I will be manually bleeding the system as I cannot afford a mighty vac so any and all help/suggestions would be welcomed. At least anything beyond the "How-To" article on this site.

Thanks a bunch for all your continued help and support...

Ray

scratcho
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I
1982 GL1100 S
1978 GL1000
1976 GL1000 x2

Re: Brakes on 83 GL1100i

Postby scratcho » Tue May 25, 2010 1:29 pm

All 83 brakes are linked. The rear brake has a proportioning valve limiting the pressure to it so it isn`t suposed to lock up, kind of like a antilock brake. But I know what you mean, I don`t like the feel of my brakes and the PO said they were just done.

stevenstrack

Postby stevenstrack » Wed May 26, 2010 7:52 pm

BigRay,
I'm a ex-York neighbor and I just finished a complete brake job on my 83 GL1100I. The tutural helped tremendously and I can tell you that the purchase of the Mity Vac is a must to get a good bleed on the brakes...it builds up a vacumn and pulls the air out instead of having someone pump the brakes. The calipers are a delicate if you decide to pull pistons out and repack. There are two seals in each cyclinder and mine actually did not have the outermost seal installed. I guess the mechanic who last did the brakes did not think they were required or was just cheap. The front master cyclinder on mine was completely shot so I had to replace the reservoir and repack the piston. Removing the c clip is a task if you dont have the right tool but once again this site has alot of very good tutorals and i downloaded them and put them in a binder for quick reference. The bike I have sat for 3 years and yesterday was the first day that i took it out for a long ride. I put new rubber on and installed all new wheel bearings which again i followed the DIY. My only real issue now is with the carb's on idle. I'm working on this issue with some sea foam trying to breakup the sludge that must be clogging some ports. The bike runs great when on the open road but will stall out when i throttle back.
Buy or find someone to lend you the VAC for bleeding, you should if not already done breakdown the caliper and clean the pistons and replace the seals. IT really isn't hard.

MJSantos
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Postby MJSantos » Thu May 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Big Ray,

I'm right here in York. I have a bleeder kit from Harbor Freight that the hand pump went bad on. I use the compressor out of a fridge to create the vacum. Works great. Your welcome to come over and get it if you need one. Send me an email with your phone#.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”