Where did it go??...disappearing neutral

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Where did it go??...disappearing neutral

Postby ankgrays » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 am

1981 Interstate. 20 miles one way to work.

When I get there (or home) my neutral has disappeared...can't find it.

1st to 2nd...2nd to 1st and so on, and so on...

Let it cool off for 5 minutes, and neutral re-appears, and I find it immediately.

What gives? :?:

I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Where did it go??...disappearing neutral

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:02 pm

It could be a couple of things. First off:

What kind of oil are you using?

When you pull the clutch lever in, at what point do you start getting resistance - i.e. do you feel resistance right away, or does it pull in a bit first?

What RPM does your engine idle at?

When this is occurring, can you shift to neutral when the bike is still moving (i.e. while slowing down, shift from 2nd to neutral instead of 1st)?

When the bike is warm and you can't find neutral, if you shut the engine off with it in gear, put it on the center stand, have a helper hold the clutch in, can you rotate the rear wheel without much drag?

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:38 am

Well..."i dunno" to some of the questions.

Busy weekend...I'll try to check them Sun., and get back to you.

Thanks. have a safe weekend!
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

dave9878
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate

Postby dave9878 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a new member and new to the Goldwing world and I have gotten a lot of outstanding info from the message boards, so thank you very much. Just an awesome website. Anyhoo, I just recently bought my Goldwing and I am having this exact same problem with mine. Neutral disappears ALL the time unless the bike is rolling or the motor is off. What is causing this? Is it the transmission? I changed the oil in it when I bought it and I'm running the Honda motor oil like recommended. I did have to change the clutch cable but that the bike did it before the cable broke. Well it hurt anything to continue to ride it? I'm just trying to get through the summer so I can do more work to it during the winter months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:54 am

WingAdmin wrote:It could be a couple of things. First off:

What kind of oil are you using? castrol 20w50

When you pull the clutch lever in, at what point do you start getting resistance - i.e. do you feel resistance right away, or does it pull in a bit first? resistance right away

What RPM does your engine idle at? about 1

When this is occurring, can you shift to neutral when the bike is still moving (i.e. while slowing down, shift from 2nd to neutral instead of 1st)? nope

When the bike is warm and you can't find neutral, if you shut the engine off with it in gear, put it on the center stand, have a helper hold the clutch in, can you rotate the rear wheel without much drag?
ill let you know

ankgrays

Postby ankgrays » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 pm

ankgrays wrote:

What kind of oil are you using? castrol 20w50

When you pull the clutch lever in, at what point do you start getting resistance - i.e. do you feel resistance right away, or does it pull in a bit first? resistance right away

What RPM does your engine idle at? about 1

When this is occurring, can you shift to neutral when the bike is still moving (i.e. while slowing down, shift from 2nd to neutral instead of 1st)? nope

no...seems to turn pretty freely

also...now it seems to not need to cool off...just turn it off, then neutral is there almost immediatly.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Maybe neutral safety switch going out/ sludged up - or loose connection of same? Regards, Johnyy

dave9878

Postby dave9878 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:20 pm

What kind of oil are you using? I'm using the Honda oil recommended by my dealer. I dunno what the guy before me was running in it. Could that be the problem? He was running conventional oil in it and when I switched it back it messed up the tranny?

When you pull the clutch lever in, at what point do you start getting resistance - i.e. do you feel resistance right away, or does it pull in a bit first? 
Within a half an inch.
What RPM does your engine idle at? a little over 1000 RPM

When this is occurring, can you shift to neutral when the bike is still moving (i.e. while slowing down, shift from 2nd to neutral instead of 1st)? Yes, it will go into neutral as long as the bike is moving even it it is just moving a little.

When the bike is warm and you can't find neutral, if you shut the engine off with it in gear, put it on the center stand, have a helper hold the clutch in, can you rotate the rear wheel without much drag? It seems to move pretty freely.

dave9878

Postby dave9878 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Where do I find the neutral safety switch?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Bottom right front of motor , real close to the frame- it will have a single wire coming out of it.
Seafoam in the oil may improve its function.
Do a quick search on this site-lots of info here on this subject. Lima - I am from Cambridge. Regards, Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”