!!!HELP!!! Indicator lights going crazy!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
russ71
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 A Aspencade

!!!HELP!!! Indicator lights going crazy!

Postby russ71 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Ok everyone I need some help. I have a 1982 Aspencade that I have been working on for about 6 month. Mechanically I have her purring like a kitten but electrically I am completely lost!. I recently replaced the temperature/fuel guage and the ignition switch because both were bad. Now the turn signal indicator lights and high beam indicator light will some on for no reason. I can be riding and they will all the sudden come on. When this happens the volts on the volt meter goes down. Also I an rev the engine and they may or may not flash. The bike doesn't have to be running either. This morning I went out to go to work and when I turned on the key all the lights were on but the night before when I parked it they were not. There seems to be no specific time when this occurs except that its getting worse and now it happens nearly every day. When this happens if I turn on the left or right turn signal the indicator light will come on bright but not flash. The front and rear signal on the bike do nothing. That's about the best I can explain what is going on. It worked fine till I replace the gauges and ignition so Im baffled as to why all the sudden its doing this. I did not touch any wires that go to these lights. I checked the ground to the fuse bob and its good. I checked every bulb just in case ine was bad. All are good. the only other thing I can think of is the front brake no longer activates the brake light. Honestly I don't know how long that has not been working. I normally only check the turn signals and rear brake a couple times a year just to make sure. this time I noticed it wasn't working. Any suggestions? I have a very good shop here close to me "Williams Vintage Cycle" who I will take it to if I cant get it figured out soon. They do great work but aren't cheap. I am hoping someone on here has seen this and knows how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Re: !!!HELP!!! Indicator lights going crazy!

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:57 am

Lets start at the basics. All the lights are on individual circuits! Power goes from the battery to the fuse block and out to each circuit.
when you replaced the ignition did you use a OEM part for that year bike or did you use a used part from who knows what?
Do you have a repair manual with a wiring diagram?

With lights on volts will drop until the bikes rpm increase, then you will notice lights get brighter.

From the battery follow the cable to the starter solenoid. from this point power (wires) go to the ignition switch.
Start at battery and work your way thru it, I would start by removing what you installed and one piece at a time examine it with what was originally there.

Good luck..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:10 pm

I would also check the battery itself. If it is not accepting a charge well (or the bike is not charging well - check the stator), some of the symptoms can be like you describe.

russ71

Postby russ71 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks! I will start following all the wires and checking the circuits one by one. I will keep yu informed. Oh its an OEM ignition switch.

russ71

Postby russ71 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:59 pm

UPDATE!!! After checking into the wiring I located a ground wire in the fairing that wasn't pinched and nearly cut in half. After fixing that can cleaning the rest of the ground wires I located its working perfectly again. Its been 5 days of no issues so im headed out in 2 weeks for a nice vacation. Be safe everyone!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Good to hear you got it. Any time you have unrelated stuff going crazy or malfunctioning all at the same time, it is generally caused by a bad ground, as you found.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”