Power loss and wont run

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
KHAWK
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100
1981 GL 1100 Interstate

Power loss and wont run

Postby KHAWK » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:09 pm

:?: :?: :?: .
If it's not one thing it's another, Today my 1100 lost ALL power and won't idle at ALL. I checked the plugs one was a little Black with soot and one looked a little like it was running a little bit lean. I put a can of SeaFoam in it but nothing came of it, The one thing I did notice was that # 3 exhaust pipe was not as hot as the others. IT was not smoking at all or taking oil any more than the little bit it takes normally. Could it be fuel filter,There new but?

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Power loss and wont run

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:53 am

It is hard to "guess" without being there, and so little to go on. Have you pulled the discharge side hose off the fuel pump to see if it is actually pumping fuel when the engine turns over? (Put a temporary hose on the pump and divert the fuel to a container)

I would check the pump, check spark (coils could be failing, I guess) and I'd check as many engine grounds as I could find. Clean battery terminals, clean the ground wire to frame, clean the coil connectors. If your plugs are questionable, change them. While you have the plugs out, check the resistor screws inside the plug boots for tightness. Make sure you're not buying resistor plugs on top of the resistors in the plug boots.

Will the engine start and run at idle, then dies when you give throttle or try to ride? If so, it surely could be a fuel problem. If the engine will idle well enough to get a set of gauges on it to balance the carbs, it won't hurt, but I doubt it will fix things.

Have the timing belts been changed recently? It is possible it can be out of time. If this condition is a recent onset, with no changes made to the engine or electronics, I'd say you MAY have got a tank of BAD FUEL and that's what is giving you fits. Water will absolutely mung everything up and make you crazy trying to figure out what is going on.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

KHAWK
1981 GL 1100 Interstate

Postby KHAWK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Well I changed the fuel filter and no improvement then I turned up the Idle speed so it will run but that got it running but it still is just DEAD. One thing that really gets me it developed a wine at all speeds ? Could it be one of the coils or that Re Stator generator? thanks for all the help in advance.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 am

whine?? check your belt pulleys,

air cleaner..dirty???? check gap and for spark on each plug..how is it?? check gas flow from the pump..measure it per the manual, last resort clean/rebuild your carbs,

check youir gas tank for rust/crap/particles floating..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:37 am

KHAWK wrote:Well I changed the fuel filter and no improvement then I turned up the Idle speed so it will run but that got it running but it still is just DEAD. One thing that really gets me it developed a wine at all speeds ? Could it be one of the coils or that Re Stator generator? thanks for all the help in advance.

Did you test your fuel pump? A clean filter won't do much if the pump isn't sending enough fuel to the carbs.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Does the whine change in pitch with the engine RPM? I would really be having a close look at your timing belts in the near future.

KHAWK
1981 GL 1100 Interstate

Postby KHAWK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi all thanks for the help so far,I did find that I don't have spark in #3 and ;) #4 I don't know it I am thinking may be the coil for them. The #3 and #4 plugs run off the same coil don't thay? The recommendation from Ad min about the Belts is going on next, Say can anyone give me a link to download the Service manual for a 81 interstate for FREE thanks in advance.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”