Shunt type R/R V.S. MOFSET type

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
t_reister
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100

Shunt type R/R V.S. MOFSET type

Postby t_reister » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:23 pm

According to some forums on the internet, the old wings have an "SCR SHUNT Type" of regulator/rectfier which generates alot of heat and voltages taper off as the heat rises. Newer techonology has brought on the "MOFSET TYPE" of regulator/rectfier which produces less heat and more consistent voltage. The shunt type have 8 wires, 3 yellow(stator) 2 green (grounds), 2 reds (power out), and 1 black (sensing wire). I understand that this tells the regulator how much voltage is in the system. The MOSFET type have 5 wires 3 yellow (stator), 1 red (power out), and 1 black (gorund). There is no sensing wire. My question is what is done with the sensing wire if you install the MOFSET TYPE??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Shunt type R/R V.S. MOFSET type

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:25 pm

t_reister wrote:According to some forums on the internet, the old wings have an "SCR SHUNT Type" of regulator/rectfier which generates alot of heat and voltages taper off as the heat rises. Newer techonology has brought on the "MOFSET TYPE" of regulator/rectfier which produces less heat and more consistent voltage. The shunt type have 8 wires, 3 yellow(stator) 2 green (grounds), 2 reds (power out), and 1 black (sensing wire). I understand that this tells the regulator how much voltage is in the system. The MOSFET type have 5 wires 3 yellow (stator), 1 red (power out), and 1 black (gorund). There is no sensing wire. My question is what is done with the sensing wire if you install the MOFSET TYPE??

The MOSFET regulator with no sense wire uses the red (which is connected to the battery) as a sense. The Shunt regulators use the sense wire to "turn on" - and more importantly, turn off when there is no power there, to avoid draining the battery. MOSFET regulators do basically the same thing automatically when they see power coming from the stator, and don't need to worry about draining the battery due to the way MOSFETs operate.

Therefore, the sense wire is left disconnected with a MOSFET regulator, as it is not required. Insulate it so that it doesn't short out, and leave it not connected.

t_reister

Postby t_reister » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Thank you!!! I have the wire, 30 amp fuse, and regulator. I will post pics of the install once I get time to get it done.

t_reister

Postby t_reister » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Ok Goldwingers, I got it done. I got a MOFSET type regulator/rectifier kit from http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm which came in a kit for about $125.00 delivered. The site has a lot of great info and complete instructions. The kit came with all the connectors, electrical plugs, and you can get a circuit breaker or a fuse for the power wire to the battery. I went with the circuit breaker. Took me about 2 hours to install and I mounted the new regulator/rectifier in the stock location without any modification (bolt on for sure). I rode the bike for an hour in 100 degree heat and then checked the output at the batter, I got 13.38 volts. Seem like the bike starts easier, runs better, and the lights seem brighter. I got the "new tennis shoe" syndrome we all had as kids. Anyway, I am very happy with it. I also ran into a great electrical connector/terminal site for all motorcycles http://www.cycleterminal.com/ they are the bomb. Happy riding to all.

Regulator mounting
Regulator mounting

Regulator to battery
Regulator to battery

t_reister

Postby t_reister » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:34 pm

FYI,
I got two weeks riding (200 miles) of riding in since the install and I am happy to report that the bike is running like new. Put it on the charger the other day and I was "charged" after about 10 minutes. The engine idles better and seems to pull better in the upper rpms. Awesome part for the money.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”