Valve Adjustment

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Valve Adjustment

Postby FlashBack » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 am

Good Day.
So I decided to adjust my valves following this how-to:http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2229 on the site but I am a bit confused. The hole where you can view the timing marks for TDC is at a slight angle. This how-to shows lining up the marks from what I assume is looking in from the side while the bike is on the center stand. Since the hole is at a slight angle, it raised a question for me:
Do I need to pull the shelter and look straight down at the hole to line up the timing marks or view it from the side?
I did the adjustment by pulling the shelter and looking straight down at the marks. Did I do it wrong?
Although my valves are now adjusted, the bike does not seem to be running as smoothly as it should. I did a carb sync following the adjustment using my Honda Line Vacuum gauges and the carbs where synced and in balance when I finished, but my idle seems to have dropped.
I am relatively new to working on a Goldwing and any help or proper direction would be really appreciated

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Valve Adjustment

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 am

Timing marks are viewed correctly.
Lower idle.It can be bumped up by the idle adjust screw on the center back side of the carbs.Accessed from the right side.Idle speed is around 900 rpm.
Not running well.Can you describe the symptoms.
Was the sync finished with all 4 carbs pulling the same vacuum at 1000 rpm?
Did you check the vacuum advance.its a small hose on the right side of the carbs and goes to a canister on the rear of the bike.
The canister must be able to hold a vacuum.
The vacuum line should have no vacuum at a idle but increase to near 7" of vacuum at 3500 rpm.
Another quick thing to check.Start the bike from stone cold.Try not to rev it up at all.let it idle for 6-8 seconds then shut it down.Lightly tap each exhaust headed pipe checking for heat.They should be equally warm if all 4 cylinders are firing.

FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Postby FlashBack » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:09 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Timing marks are viewed correctly.
Lower idle.It can be bumped up by the idle adjust screw on the center back side of the carbs.Accessed from the right side.Idle speed is around 900 rpm.
Not running well.Can you describe the symptoms.
Was the sync finished with all 4 carbs pulling the same vacuum at 1000 rpm?
Did you check the vacuum advance.its a small hose on the right side of the carbs and goes to a canister on the rear of the bike.
The canister must be able to hold a vacuum.
The vacuum line should have no vacuum at a idle but increase to near 7" of vacuum at 3500 rpm.
Another quick thing to check.Start the bike from stone cold.Try not to rev it up at all.let it idle for 6-8 seconds then shut it down.Lightly tap each exhaust headed pipe checking for heat.They should be equally warm if all 4 cylinders are firing.

So pulling the shelter and looking straight down is the proper method then? I adjusted the valves by inserting the correct gauge and tightening the adjuster screw until i couldn't move the gauge and then backed off just slightly until there was slight resistance to movement of the gauge.
Carbs where synced and balanced and showing the same reading all across the 4 gauges. Vacum advance is fine and the bike was running great prior to my work with the exception of the valves, hence the reason for the adjustment...Go figure. I think i will check out the carbs again this evening and ensure i have a fan blowing on it this time

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:05 pm

So pulling the shelter and looking straight down is the proper method then?

Close enough for adjusting the valves...It's position is not as critical for valves as when the marks are used to set the ignition timing.
Do the cold start test...it tells really quick if you have a cylinder that's not firing well at 1000 rpm...
I've seen these bikes run at 1000 rpm on one cylinder...and idle pretty good on 3...It doesn't take much off in the carb end to upset the balance of the engine..

Just so I understand the sequence of events....
The bike was running just fine...
you adjusted the valves and synced the carbs
Now it runs badly....
You confirmed the valves were "done" properly...
The only other thing is the carbs....

Good train of thought...Keep after it.
The carbs can be a bit daunting to get set exactly right....Keep the rpm close to 1000 after each adjustment then idle it back to 850 when finished....1000 rpm is usually where you hear the rattling when starting out..

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”